Yoeddynz's 1985 Hino N0915 housetruck build.

yoeddynz

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers man. Yeah i love old bikes. I worked as push bike mechanic in the UK for 10 years and then we brought 13 bikes back to NZ with us. That red one on the front of the truck is an old royal mail post bike I rescued from the pile junk pile at one shop i worked in. I love it- so perfect for cruising into town on or for sunny weekend cruises about the country side.

Hey - do you know if the 'Cycle trading company' on Manchester street is still going. I know they were right on the edge of the mayhem but heard that the building survived? They are a great source for old bike parts here.

Ha wicked! :D Nice truck man - you lucky fucker! The guy driving it was from Auckland. Both Hannah and I had to have a sit in the drivers seat to see what it was like. Fuck man- makes our Hino feel like a toy. The KW is high up. Also bloody comfy seats.

I still can't imagine what it must be like to drive a massive truck like that. The driver said he used to own a Hino like ours and that driving the KW is easier because being an auto ya just stick it in drive and go. In fact other truck drivers have said modern trucks, even though much bigger than ours, are so much 'easier' to drive than old things like ours.

For me its the fear/awesomeness/responsibility of placing 40 tonnes of moving metal on the road that makes me respect proper truck drivers no matter how 'easy' they are to drive.

I wanna work up to class 4/5 one day just for the experience.

Hey - do you know if the 'Cycle trading company' on Manchester street is still going. I know they were right on the edge of the mayhem but heard that the building survived? They are a great source for old bike parts here.

I've been meaning to go and check, I know it was fenced off for a little while and I could see from moorhouse ave that there was a pile of bricks either infront of it or next door to it.

I got the handlebars and grips for Louella's bike from there and want to get more of those bars for my tandem. I'll let you know when I make it into town to check it out. I'm pretty sure acorn models (town side of ctc) is open so would depend on their own building I guess.

Louella on xmas day when I gave her the bike (healing 10 speed):

DSC_0056.jpg

Sweet cheers man. No hurry now..I fixed up my rim yesterday- it had rusted through and a spoke pulled through. Its a hard to get rod brake rim so I welded a washer on the inside and its all good now! sweet. I love my old bike and I hope I can get work in Nelson within a close enough distance so I can just ride that bike rather than my road bike.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yeah I think i have been spoiled by 20 months of working for ourselves, waking up when we want.

I have been telling prospective employers that I can only work Tuesday to friday. Funny enough they dont like it....

The other thing I love is the idea of siestas. Like many European countries etc. Stop work at 12 and start again sometimes as late as 4. Hated it when I was there but then got into it. Riding my bike midday. Tis sweet. The early starts are fine with this too.

Must buy a lotto ticket....

yeah-hopefully it works out. Biggest problem is lack of available capital. We have savings but thats for a deposit on land one day. At least for now our living costs are so bloody low that we dont have to stress out. And that its sunny. Typical is that first day starting on a job for someone and my usually rock solid back has gave out. I'm limping about like am old man. Hannah's doing all the lifting. Its now coffee time:-)