fuel's 1982 Mitsubishi Galant GT

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

I would say it was the 16psi+ the engine saw around Taupo track 2, however the Eternas engine held up to the same abuse for no less than three trackdays at that boost level. There's no detonation marks anywhere on the crowns of the pistons, but I did initially have an issue with the engine pinking quite severely once the turbo gear was re-fitted, but it was mostly due to over-advanced ignition timing and was quickly rectified. These pistons use 2mm thick compression rings and the ring land width isn't that big so they are more prone to this happening over the later model pistons with thinner things. Due to the primitive ECI system usually you melt or crack ring lands on pistons 1 & 4 as they run lean while pistons 2 & 3 run richer, however it was piston #3 which did the damage which goes against the grain. Ah well with the HKS forged pistons which run 1.2/1.5mm rings hopefully it wont happen again.

• 3 months later...

the head has been rebuilt before in the past, it looks fairly clean and has numbers engraved over the rocker arms and shafts etc for placement. I can see newish valve stem seals fitted too. besides, I'm pretty much flat broke thanks to the bottom end, I don't think I could justify spending another few hundy on the head, especially when things like valve stem seals, valves, inlet manifold etc are specific to the DASH head and they no longer make spares for it!

yeah, it's mainly the inlet manifold, valve stem seals and the rocker cover gasket which is different. I just kept the intake manifold attached, valve stem seals have already been replaced, and rocker cover gasket can be re-used - am using the normal SOHC head gasket which cost all of $20+GST.

• 1 month later...