What to do? - Mild Steel intercooler piping

SHGWAG

Yuh, need the inside of one of my intercooler pipes painted / coated.

Anyone had this done before??

I'm thinking either:

Powderocating (not sure if its feasible due to the bends in the pipe)

HPC coated (same problem as above)

Hot Dip Galvanised (would most likely warp the pipe)

GO!

I really cant see it being worth galving it unless they do it for free at work. and even then it's of dubious worth. its not going to drop rust flakes into your engine unless you leave it sitting somewhere moist for 100 years without running it. e.g. most old cars had cast iron intake manifolds with no paint inside i.e. it doesn't matter.

do not POR 15.

sheepers.

no reason it wouldn't stick to a correctly prepared surface

your absolutely right, but a "correctly prepared surface" would require the inside of the pipe being heavily scored with the likes of 40 gritt sand paper or better.

any parts you miss with the sand paper then paint with POR 15 will come off and make their way into the spencive bits called the engine.

like i say, POR 15 wont stick to any smooth surface, it has to be fucking rough before it will stick. new steel = not even slightly rough enough.

do not POR 15.

sheepers.

no reason it wouldn't stick to a correctly prepared surface

your absolutely right, but a "correctly prepared surface" would require the inside of the pipe being heavily scored with the likes of 40 gritt sand paper or better.

any parts you miss with the sand paper then paint with POR 15 will come off and make their way into the spencive bits called the engine.

like i say, POR 15 wont stick to any smooth surface, it has to be fucking rough before it will stick. new steel = not even slightly rough enough.

You could maybe use Por 15 metal ready and not paint it, not sure how long it would prevent rust without coating but id hazard a guess at forever in an oily intake. After treating you just wash the part with water - too easy.

Its the only rust stuff i use now. Hate that rust converter shit - always dries and leaves a film and its fukn hard to tell if you got all the rust underneath - usually not.

Pretty dear but its fully reusable so lasts ages.

Their marine clean is awesome too, if there is any residue on the steel i would recommend using this before hand.