100mm ground clearance laws

RT

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.lvvta.org.nz/stdSuspensionSystems.pdf

Section 4.1 b (v) unless specified as an original condition by the original vehicle manufacturer, the road clearance of the unladen vehicle is not less than 100 mm measured to any part of the vehicle other than the wheel rim, brake backing plate and the outer knuckle of the suspenion joint, or body kits such as front spoiler and side skirts of a lightweight construction;

I'm not too sure where the structural part comes from, but I have heard that in the past. I've also heard that the exhaust is not counted either but that is clearly not that case according to the above. I'm sure I was told that by a wof inspector too.

There is another one that could catch you out also, the car cannot touch the bump stops when fully laden. I guess that means when its 5 up and a full load in the boot? I'd say theres not a lot of lowered cars out there that this would occur in, you'd need very firm springs.

Cars like lotus elises are covered where it says about being an original condition. They just write that in to allow cars to be registered that are actually lower than 100mm. To be modified I can tell you from the above that sumps are definitely something that would have to be above 100mm. Thats only if you don't want it to be certified though, a cert would rule this out as a whole different set of rules applies.

As far as cops go, I've heard that they just get a 100mm block and try to ram it under the car. If it hits anything they pink sticker the car :lol: Apparently they aren't too worried about what part of the car it hits.

My sump is also the lowest part of my car unfortunately and I think I'm going to have a new one made from steel because being cast alloy, its quite fragile.

There is another one that could catch you out also, the car cannot touch the bump stops when fully laden. I guess that means when its 5 up and a full load in the boot? I'd say theres not a lot of lowered cars out there that this would occur in, you'd need very firm springs.

um, my cars do that from factory and i know many others do too

-z

thing with sump is, being between front wheels, even if it is the lowest part its unlikely to hit first. unless you drive over a speedbump sideways or something stupid

:lol: entirely untrue. Most roads in NZ aren't flat from left to right, they have a crest in them. I've also noticed that the road surface is lower where cars drive all the time, so if you are in a low car and you drive where other cars tires go, you'll hit the road. You need to offset the lane and drive on the parts others don't :? Also passing is dodgy because the white line is the highest part of the road and the bastards put cats eyes on it, so crossing that its a cunt too. And if you don't believe me ask my cracked sump that has already needed to be welded up.

well, turns out from the certifier whose been in discussions with wellington that the sump is NOT a structural point of the vehicle. Regardless of the fact that if you hit something you're engine is screwed is beside the point that because if you are stationary your car can be crushed from around this point independently which negates the sump to not being part of the vehicle structure, exhaust + body kits etc are definitely not.

well, turns out from the certifier whose been in discussions with wellington that the sump is NOT a structural point of the vehicle. Regardless of the fact that if you hit something you're engine is screwed is beside the point that because if you are stationary your car can be crushed from around this point independently which negates the sump to not being part of the vehicle structure, exhaust + body kits etc are definitely not.

Thats pretty good news, straight from the certifier. So that means that you don't require a cert for the lowering then?

Quick Question:

What are the laws regarding a lowered car that has been certified for it's lower than 100mm height? Do the chassis rails still have to be more than 100mm off the ground?

Wanting to know this as I can lower the 7 to be 50mm off the ground without the kit on it, with the kit it's 35 :twisted:

you can certify your car to be as low as your want.

The question I posed was how far you can lower your car without certifying.

The answer is to 100mm from the lowest structural point of the car, which doesn't include the sump, exhaust or spoilers.

Quick Question:

What are the laws regarding a lowered car that has been certified for it's lower than 100mm height? Do the chassis rails still have to be more than 100mm off the ground?

Wanting to know this as I can lower the 7 to be 50mm off the ground without the kit on it, with the kit it's 35 :twisted:

Yeah thats right, as RT has put it above.

Would pay to read up on the link I posted above though, all sections before section 4 so you know what you'll have to do. Can't sit on bumps fully laden, etc and a certifier I spoke to in the past wan'ts 30mm of travel before it hits the bumps.