got foggy windows?

tortron

yet have no heater/fan

just heard this idea and thought GENIUS is shall claim it as my own!

because these days everyone lives in their cars while sitting in traffic to and from work various home accessories have found their way into 12v standards, i.e. plug in shavers, coffee pots and what have you.

One such item is the 12V hair drier

for those without the need for a hair drier, a hair drier consists of a fan and an electric element, often with settings such as - 1, 2, 3 , cold, warm, hot

compare these settings to that of a modern (late 80's) demister unit and you may find ideas popping into your head.

A small "travel" or "camping" hair drier is able to fit easily behind most dashes (or one on either side of the rear of a wagon. If your car is anything like mine it likely has a couple of vents that dont actually attach to anything - well here is your chance to put those vents to good use. A little ducting and some effort in mounting the unit (get fancy and pull the whole thing apart and incorperate it into the dash - or just have it hang down by your feet) and say goodbye to hanging your head out the window on those winter mornings (if you dont have existing vents you will have to get creative)

This oldschool service anouncement brought to you by Tortrons dodgy old car ideas

-mmmm thats good ideas

Yeah dude,

Heaps of guys on OzGemini do this when they remove the heater and fan. They rip open a 12v hair dryer and put the fans into the demister tubes and then wire them up to a switch. Will be doing it myself when I get around to it.

on that note there are kits you can buy for mainly old hotrods that can give them airconditioning , where can you aquire these from?? , 910 came with aircon but lines have been cut and it was on the old r-12 system . seeings as just to get a system filled cost about 100 bucks i cant be fucked retro fitting a s13 system etc.

Heaps of peoples do this in race cars because under the regs you need to have a defogging system and most don't have any dash at all so obviously no heater. I'd say it would work quite well, better than a typical old heater fan and I think I've seen hair dryers that have various settings, ie cool, warm, hot so you wouldn't have any worries about it being the wrong temp.

I did a winter in my 1200 with no heater. A friend gave me a 12V hair dryer that he had left over from a hotrod he'd owned. I'd drive to work on a bitterly cold frosty morning wearing gloves, with the dryer in one hand trying to defrost the window so I could see. It was up to fuck all I'd have to say. Doesn't mean you can't get better ones though.

FTR, I'm going to install a factory heater back into the 1200 at some time. 80% of the energy is lost as heat, and considering how friggin cold it gets here, I gag to put some of it to good use!