xsspeed's Corollas: EE80->Beams3s & NZGT Liftback

xsspeed

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK so chucked in these springs(kings superlow) and suspension (KYB)

My first thoughts when comparing the fronts, was the original ones were a lot stiffer, I could barely compress them, whereas the kings ones I could compress a bit until they became quite firm.

Comparing the rears, stiffness felt about the same, but the rebound was much more controlled on the new ones.

I dialled almost maximum camber at the front as I was worried about them still being slightly outside the guards, and I had noticed previously it looked like it was slightly positive.

I left the rear camber alone just to see what they were like, as the camber adjusting cam on the back operates the rearmost control arm. This appeared to add rear toe in as it added camber - not sure what the correct balance is here so might take it along to someone.

got it all done and went for a drive, feels a lot flatter through corners, but the rears both rub on the guards a little bit - may need to roll them or see what can be done with the camber. Car is a little twitchy steering wheel pulls right a bit (possibly due to having -ve camber now and driving on a cambered road?) Might need to adjust it a little bit.

Anyway some pics, doesn't look super slammed but its definately an improvement aesthetically.

DSC08740.jpg

DSC08741.jpg

DSC08742.jpg

It will be pulling right because of the toe-out that's gained by lowering a car, possibly combined with the camber too.

If you want MAX camber (3' would be ideal for the track) then you need to slot the holes in the hub to pull it in further. We've done this on a couple of corolla race cars and it makes a big difference on the track.

Hah, I thought it was a dumb question, just wanted to make sure I hadn't done something irreversible

Struggle to get my head around/haven't tried to understand how camber/castor/toe relate to eachother, like how a change in one creates a change in others.

Changing the camber from the hub shouldn't change too much else. It makes a difference because you're moving the suspension points outwards/inwards which changes other figures as the arms move. Pretty simple to understand once you've payed attention for a while. Adding castor changes the camber of the wheel during turn (more camber on the outside wheel at full lock) - but changing anything = time for a wheel alignment.

mint, understand that.

have you played with the rears on ae82 corolla's? Not sure what to do here, cos it *looks* like when you rotate the cam you extend the length of the rear control arm, so this pushes the bottom of the hub out, giving -ve camber, but it also appears to twist the hubs giving them more toe in.

Don't think I'll slot anything on this one, like I mentioned before I will play around more on the one getting the 3s.

Basically did the same thing with the rears I think - although coilovers sat too close to the wheels for mad camber.

Add a big rear bar and it will make a huge difference. You need the rear to tweak if you want turn-in and the front wheels are there to do all the hard work. It shouldn't have as many lift off issues with the lower setup because there won't be as much weight shift / wallowing.

^ this is my thinking too, re weight shift, definately feels flatter around corners.

Not sure if the kings springs will offer much in performance, the model numbers are ktfl-45sl and ktrl-52sl for front and rear. Don't know if the numbers mean anything? 4.5kg front and 5.2kg rear? sounds odd, and the website lists them as progressive as well so not sure how they rate stiffness in that case if it's not constant.

I'll put the whiteline bar on it and get an alignment, lip the guards and I think I'm done for the nats trackday.

I'll do some non performance tootooing aswell, pop in a decent stereo and some speakers, also got this sweet graphic equaliser that illuminates for some 80's nostalgia.

• 1 month later...

Well I rolled the guards this morning, upon inspection it looked like the rear tyres were also rubbing on the top edge of the bumper where it wraps around to the wheel arch (it had been rounded off smooth the same profile as the tyre) - this was confirmed through scientific means of sticking some electrical tape to the suspect place and going for a blat - tape rubbed off. MYTHBUSTED/CONFIRMED

So either need to bend these out with some heat, or file them back, or live with it.

I am less worried now that I know its not metal gouging the tyre.

Still to sort for nats trackday:

- Alignment

- Install rear sway bar

- Radiator flush/rod

Better get cracking