lowering front of car...best way to get right height?

Beaver

hey all

have lowered the ass end of the cortina a further 2 inches, may be a tad low but is a bout right, might try get some 1 and 1/2 inch blocks. anyways, now the front needs more work, as it looks like im carrying a boot load of dead bodys around. the springs in have already been cut (not by me) and the struts are brand new and have been shortened to keep current springs captive.

i was thinking of getting some mates to sit on the bonnet untill the front sits at a height im happy with, and then measureing the difference in height. this would give me the drop i need, obviously. now, ive been told that makita spec is better than compressing due to spring rate and sagging over time. is there a way to get the right drop by cutting? or is it hit and miss? i know that by compressing you can get pretty close to the exact drop you want, as the rario is approx 1:1. im going to need to get the struts shortened again either way.

also, apart from things (tyres, steering components) hitting other things, is there anything i need to be careful of when lowering a fair amount? it will be about 2inchslower than standard.

just wanted to clear a few things up before i start throwing money at it again

cheers

dodge the cutties unless you knwo what your doing

do the thing with the mates on the bonnet to measure compresed height, then measure the height it compresses to now, then take spring into spring makers and say i have this spring it compresses to this height at the moment, and i want ones that are 30% stiffer and compres to this(new desired) height

you shoudl also do a step in the middle there where you assemble it with no springs but with bumpstops and measure that height to make sure you still have some travel, depending on this amount of travel is how i would pick new spring rate

last pair of springs i got made were about $230... this was while ago tho

they might get abit picky when you give them a cut spring to work from because they can't work it out excalty but just means you may have to get it compressed 10mm or something later to get the 'perfect' ride height

put it on a flat concrete surface, measure ends of sills to ground (good datum edge), work out ya differences and go from there.

the problem with that is i dont think ill be able to get the front as low as the back...so i kinda want to go as low as possible without rub

":2fv9c572]I still have to go down to the shed and find those 1 inch blocks for you, should be down at the shed this weekend :)

sweet thanks :D i put 2 inch ones in it and it may be too low....depends how much i can drop the front