Fuel Milage woes - help needed

KKtrips

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

my L24 does about 300ish around town and about 450-500 on the open road on a 45L tank in the 240k

the old L20e in the 260 used to do about the same i think but on the 60L tank the 260c has.

240k is better cause its a few hundy kg's lighter id say.

also are these miles or kilometres you are meaning - I have quoted km after converting from miles off my odometer..

I would have to pull them out and check - these carbs ran sweet on KY's car for ages - so unlikely its the carb "setup"

Yes I know I am assuming a lot of things are unlikely and it is most probably one of these - but I want to make sure that the milage I am getting is realistic/unrealistic - I understand some motors just eat dinosaurs and L6's may be just one of them motors

exhaust is stock and doesn't leak / or is blocked..

I had a s3 land rover with a 186 in it years ago.

First got it going with the engine driven fan, standard mani and chopped up random bits of exhaust and mufflers etc

I bought some headers for it, a free flow muff that wasnt too loud and changed the engine driven fan to an electric one.

Noticable drop in fuel consumption.

my L24 does about 300ish around town and about 450-500 on the open road on a 45L tank in the 240k

the old L20e in the 260 used to do about the same i think but on the 60L tank the 260c has.

240k is better cause its a few hundy kg's lighter id say.

also are these miles or kilometres you are meaning - I have quoted km after converting from miles off my odometer..

km's, all my datsuns are in km's

Is there any chance the cam timing is out due to someone previous messing with it?

I would need to do some thinking/maths but I think your economy is worse than the Patrol.... and the Patrol is terrifying.

EDIT: Filled the Patrol this morning and it used 110 litres for 450 kms of urban driving which is pretty much exactly the same as your usage (based on the Datsun using 60 litres for 250 kms)

4.8 Patrol: 110/4.5 = 24.4 litres per 100 kms

2.6 Datsun: 60/2.5 = 24.0 litres per 100 kms

I would wager the Datsun is a fair bit lighter and more aerodynamic than the Patrol but I am buggered if I know why yours uses so much fuel. It must be a combination of things.

I'll get anywhere between 4 and 500 out of a tank of mainly open road driving

cold starts hammer the shit out of economy, choke or not. I don't have a choke at all and mine smokes the gas when she's cold. I'm gentle as fuck on her.

4m criz of same vintage as you know.

crowns get better economy with a weber but I cbf making up shit so i don't have to convert it to cable throttle instead of linkages.

tried commuting at 80k for lulz?

also, winter here reaks havoc. you can drive to and from work in a massive headwind, and, the aerodynamics of them in a headwind make it similar to pushing a turd across lino.

get a citroen. used to cost me and hairy like $40 a week commuting brooklyn to hutt hammer down in the ID

The FairladyZ does around 10L per 100kms. Thats L20e and around 1100kg´s. Pretty sure its still running rich though.

Id put a wideband on it and see what the AFR´s are while you are cruising around. With economy that bad i cant imagine it would be anything else other than overfueling? SUs generally are pretty good on fuel when setup right. Are they standard 240z Hitachi´s with standard needles? Early or late model ones?