Fuel Milage woes - help needed

KKtrips

Hi guys - those of you out there who have an Datsun L6 help me out and let me know roughly what fuel milage you are achieving.

I have a stock albeit 25 year veteran Datsun L26 and with twin SU's

On a 50-60L tank I achieve

around 200 - 250Km round town

around 300Km round town and occasional motorway driving

380 - 400Km on a long distance trip

I can watch the fuel gauge move as I am driving and it distresses me at the amount of fuel my 240 uses. I'm sure its a lot more than it should do. (it used the same amount when it had a single carb, the twin SU's have made negligible difference)

Any stats you guys have would be appreciated.

Cheers

PS - I am a fairly nanna driver 99% of the time so its not the lead foot causing it.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

my L24 does about 300ish around town and about 450-500 on the open road on a 45L tank in the 240k

the old L20e in the 260 used to do about the same i think but on the 60L tank the 260c has.

240k is better cause its a few hundy kg's lighter id say.

how's the ignition timing looking? does it have functioning vac advance? exhaust not restricted in any way? brakes partially binding? does it have an aftermarket electric fuel pump possibly over-powering the float bowl valves in the carbs? what colour do the spark plugs look like when they are pulled out? does the oil go black real quick after an oil change?

mine really wasn't any better than that eh haha, but i did tend to have my foot either flat on the gas or the brake, getting it to change out of first etc.... lol

does it feel like its running smooth or what? feel slow? always been that bad?

Timing is bang on spec - and advance is how it should be (mech and vac)- mechanical fuel pump, and I doubt its flooding the carbs- plugs are pretty much spot on - brakes ain't dragging at all - oil does go black, but no faster than I would expect in an old car.

thats what is so mystifying - there are no obvious signs that it is overfuelling or that it is leaking the fuel

BTW - still 3 spd, but top gear is 1:1 same as the 4 spd (and most likely 5 spd too)

Timing is bang on spec - and advance is how it should be (mech and vac)- mechanical fuel pump, and I doubt its flooding the carbs- plugs are pretty much spot on - brakes ain't dragging at all - oil does go black, but no faster than I would expect in an old car.

thats what is so mystifying - there are no obvious signs that it is overfuelling or that it is leaking the fuel

BTW - still 3 spd, but top gear is 1:1 same as the 4 spd (and most likely 5 spd too)

in a 5 speed 4th gear is usually 1:1, and 5th is usually anywhere between 0.6-0.8:1. It's the other two gears I'm meaning, in a 3speed it's putting more work on the engine trying to move the slug, I bet 1st gear is somewhere between 1st and 2nd (probably closer to 2nd) on a 5 speed.

Does it go any better with the twin SUs?

if someone in welly's has a wideband chuck it on there see what its up to know a few people who have got there carby cars running very economically with a wideband tune up

Do explain what a wideband is? I'm suspecting you mean an Air Fuel Ratio meter?

if someone in welly's has a wideband chuck it on there see what its up to know a few people who have got there carby cars running very economically with a wideband tune up

Do explain what a wideband is? I'm suspecting you mean an Air Fuel Ratio meter?

^you got it in one. tells you exactly what fuel/air ration is instead of just lean or rich

in a 5 speed 4th gear is usually 1:1, and 5th is usually anywhere between 0.6-0.8:1. It's the other two gears I'm meaning, in a 3speed it's putting more work on the engine trying to move the slug, I bet 1st gear is somewhere between 1st and 2nd (probably closer to 2nd) on a 5 speed.

Does it go any better with the twin SUs?

Extremely keen to keep column shift - therefore 3 spd is mandatory, - and yeah it goes better with the SU's but only when I boot it hard..

yea wideband oxygen sensor, not cheap but someone in wellys may have one. sentra dave has one he may send down or something. Can use it to super lean out your cruise mixtures and see where its using all the gas

Do I chuck it in the exhaust tailpipe or weld in a threaded insert to fit it at the collector?