Battery has been relocated to under the bonnet

Electronic Boost control (incabin)

Running a Link V5, and tuned by Gavin at High Velocity

Jamex springs

Nolethane bushes alround

KYB adjustable shocks

Rear anti-sway bar

Celica front brakes

Right so most people have heard about this, mainly due to my constant whinging lately about it having lots of problems.

Last owner seems to be quite good at doing things when they come with instructions, but anything requiring his own thought... well thats when things start to go down hill.

After buying it, everything was thought to be in order.

I knew it had a few little niggles, but I sorted them and sent it on it's way to get timed up and all should have been go.

Nope.

The story so far:

Car ended up in my possesion "tuneless" not entirely sure what happened there but shit happens.

Car was at speedtech on the dyno today,

Hasn't gone too well so far, nothing major but we're getting there.

Needed a new set of plugs, had two different pairs of plugs in it when I got it, chucked some standard smallport 16v plugs in but these were wrong heat range and had projected electrodes. Now rocking some HKS fancy plugs.

Once that was sorted they ran the car up on the dyno, got up to about 140kw at the wheels on standard boost before an intercooler pipe blew off. None of the piping has beads so they stopped there and gave me a call. Gave the ok to have the pipes welded up with beads.

So long as things go smoothly next week it should be all sorted, cost is starting to rack up but can't expect everything to go well first time...

Next:

Big whinge,

Everytime I got a call from speedtech today there was more problems with the car, the piping is not at all up to the job, there was one that was completely covered in silastic sealant, it doesnt line up, the pipe going from the throttle body going to the intercooler is completly useless, the air intake temp sensor is just push fitted into a soft rubber hose.

The cambelt almost disintegrated.

I'm not a happy camper.

Bodgy bodgy bodgy.

oh and the car doesn't stay in 4th gear

And then:

The result:

Lots of wasted $$

Big bill and nothing to show for it but problems.

TheBillsmall.jpg

dynosheetsmall.jpg

Poop.

So i bought a new intercooler - st205 GT4 one:

Water-to-Air.jpg

Not a fan of the Suby unit, they are ballz imo.

Gonna redo all the piping and change the lay out, waiting for the new IC before I can go any further.

Today was the first chance I've had to have a look at the car since getting it back.

Here's the sort of shit I'm up against

Image031.jpg

Image032.jpg

Image033.jpg

Image034.jpg

Image035.jpg

Image038.jpg

Image039.jpg

Image040.jpg

Image043.jpg

Image050.jpg

Image054.jpg

Image055.jpg

Image056.jpg

Image057.jpg

Image058.jpg

Image059.jpg

Image060.jpg

Image061.jpg

Also in regards to the Timing belt falling off, I can only blame myself for that one.

The exhaust camgear bolt had fallen out, and the inlet one was loose too.

Luckily there's not much damage, I'll be sure to torque them up properly and use loctite from now on.

I've bought a new belt and tensioner.

Image058.jpg

And one of the first things I did:

IMG_3372.jpg

EW

CIMG0431.jpg

YES

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

gutted about the extra cost's and ex owners stuff up

shame when this happens

looking at those fuel lines and what not gives me the shits, no hose joiners just rubber hose on rubber hose.................ouch

pull it all out

re wire it

re fuel line it

start again

and do it right!!!!!!

good god thats a mess.

i knew the guy who built the motor..... a while ago now. but from memory when i ask him about torqueing the head bolts the reply was " nah, i just did them all up tight ". i hope you dont have any problems with that.

I find this worrying

+1

Gah

Edit:

lucasthefallen wrote:

good god thats a mess.

i knew the guy who built the motor..... a while ago now. but from memory when i ask him about torqueing the head bolts the reply was " nah, i just did them all up tight ". i hope you dont have any problems with that.

Care to shed some light on this.

Before I go taking it to bits.

-No that is incorrect. Torqued as per specified in BGB.

nope nope, I don't give two shits about the previous owner unless his lack of ability extended into the engine assembely.

AW11's are abit fatter than that, actually fairly nice cars to be inside unlike the gen 1 crx I had been borrowing while the grey car was out of action.

According to carjam it's 1100kg, I have a feeling it was weighed when it was certed.

I will over come weight with POWER :D

According to carjam it's 1100kg, I have a feeling it was weighed when it was certed.

I will over come weight with POWER :D

I reckon they'd be closer to 1000kg, perhaps even a little less. As I understand it carjam shows the gross vehicle weight, so thats 2 people, a full tank of gas and full of luggage. For an AW that would be a sandwhich I guess. It also includes the weight on the tow bar, should it happen to have one of those.

Looks horrible though man. I agree with ripping it out and doing it right. Luckily those engines are pretty simple little things so it should go back together nicely.

please don't change the wheels the current ones suit it so well

Don't listen to him^

kthanks

p.s. envy for owning an AW11, one with a 7AGTE no doubt, keen for one myself

Whats wrong with them ?

Is it becasue there not 13's and dished enuff for you?

Owning one?

I have two and I think these are my 7th and 8th respectively :P

Wheels are nice but only 15x6.5

A bit fail really, especially with 225's bloated on the rear.

Yeah pity there not so wide, i jsut think they really suit the 80tys styling of the car really well, plus there not dished, getting a bit over the whole need wide wheels things pity there not 7 and 7.5 but still look mint

Think this says it all really:

Lucy says:

*How was your day anyway?

Ben - I'm so real I don't need to fake it says:

*pretty good

*I did lots of pulling the red car to bits

*http://www.oldschool.co.nz/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=19052

*very long and probably makes no sense

*but there are pictures

Lucy says:

*Wow, I know fuck all about cars, but that looks like a bloody mess! 

Ben - I'm so real I don't need to fake it says:

*hahahaha

(lucy = the missus)

It's a pity about this eh, would never have had a clue about all the sealant and dodgey bits from his build threads... Seemed to do everything well when reading about it and the pics looked good.

In the end though, it was cheap and fixing issues should have been expected man... Sure theres a lot of rough stuff there but no point cursing the previous owner etc... what has been done has been done. I've been going through a lot of the same sort've shit with the race car and it makes you feel like calling the old owner up to tell them their dickhead work is poo-house... but whats the point. Issue is found, you can sort it and move on from there. Thats what developing a car is like...

Although spending $1200 to for a list of problems must be a bad feeling... but at least they're found now. Again same issues here - on a student "budget" - and every extra cost takes you closer bankruptcy.