What really goes wrong with coil springs?

Unclejake

Gentlemen, Cazza and Donna,

I am probably in the market for some replacement race coil springs for the front of the Mk1 Cortina.

I hear things about various brands giving trouble but what really happens? Is the steel or heat treatment inferior in a King Spring compared to an Eaibach? <= spelling optional.

If you wanted the best in a 2 1/2 inch 400-450 pound sping what would you go for?

Thanks and kisses

UJ

Don't they make d2's for mk1 cortinas??

:P

Would a spring really go wrong in your application?

You've got the bare minimum of weight, and I don't see how they will fail whilst parked up in a garage anyway.

Hint hint.

Springs aren't OVERLY expensive, you would probably have more fun finding out what goes wrong yourself, rather than asking other peoples advice.

a spring is a torsion bar but in a coil form really, if you over twist a torsion bar i guess it would shear but with a coil spring you cant do that because it would become coil bound before you got the chance to over stress it?

if you had a spring working right on the edge of its limits (really close to becoming bound all the time) i suppose it could fracture the steel but Ive never heard of this happening.

i dunno, passably the difference between one and the other is the rate of "settle" you know, one might change more over time changing the way your car behaves??

never heard of this happening either though?????????????????

some words of confusion.

sheepers.

passably the difference between one and the other is the rate of "settle" you know, one might change more over time changing the way your car behaves??

never heard of this happening either though?????????????????

Normal king springs are known to do this. Im not sure about their 2&1/2" product however.

Gaz

Chur kuzins

Ben - I don't know what a D2 is sorry so I missed the joke (blame it on age)

I think I will try some Eiabachs. I CBF trying to diagnose a spring that has gone soft in a car that will onbly be driven eight times a year (if ever).

Word (vtax)

Normaly the ladden ride hight is the biggest problem and found differnt brands in the same stated hight eg. "super low" being differnt.

I had a falcon and put superlow Cobra springs in it and it sat about 4mm above the bump stops/ Not much fun

Then fitted superlow Kingsprings and sat about 25mm above the bump stop but the springs were softer and hit the bump stops just as bad

Then finaly put superlow Lovells and sat the same as kingspring hight but hardly ever hit the bump stops.

So the at the end of the day not all springs work the same. Some brands softer or harder, higher or lower but there is only one way to see how they fit or how long they last.

So just buy the ones that sound the coolest and you should be right.

I had 40mm Eibach's in my mk2 golf. Worked good, only hit bump stops when pushing hard.

Cooked the shocks though. Heard bad things about king springs, although possibly have them in my mr2 and that handles ok. I think lowering springs from the same brand are pretty car specific as to their quality. You never know how much testing they do in the factory, if any at all.

well kings are/were good enough for the v8 taxi races so i'm guessing they sorted their quality control. All the issues i ever heard of kings or for that matter any other brand (there's always someone somewhere that knows a guy who's mate's, brothers cousin had a spring snap on.) have been down to improper spring rates, ie for a given model of car there is perhaps 5 or 6 oem springs depending on model specifics, options etc, but it would be uneconomical for king or any other company to reproduce a lower version of all of them, so they do the most common. Also if you look in the catalogue there are a lot of crossovers where a spring designed for one type/model also fits another. The other option if you know the length and weight of spring you want is to have them made, superior industries in Naenae used to do this, i presume they still do.

Cheers, Dan