WARTYM's SUZUKI SJ410 PROJECT "RUST"

WARTYM

had a look at my engine in the suzuki sj410.

it has a f10a engine which is around 970cc 4cyl carby, now the engine has had its valve cover off for at least a year and was parked out side. birds have lived in the engine bay and the head has pretty bad as it has straw in it from the birds.

was wondering what is the best thing to do ? the parts in the head are looking a bit rusty espically the springs.

should i jus take off the head give it a good clean up and lube it up and put it back on or ?

im not sure if engine turns over or not any ideas on how to check if all is fine ?

heres a photo to show what i mean:

dsc00148lz1.jpg

engine was running before it was parked up about 1year ago.

yeah just a 4x4 hack, my plans are to get on the road when i get a new body for it. but for now all i want to do i get the engine running

should i pull the head off and give it a good clean with petrol and de-greaser ?

anything else i can do before i put it all back together and try to crank it ?

I wouldn't bother. Take it out and pull it down, the bores will probably be rusty as shit and that head is probably way too messed up. You'll just make it worse for yourself

Man what a fucking huge piece of shit you've got yourself there. I hope to hell it was free :lol:

Potential is high though.

oh yeah feel the love

definitely flag investing much labour into it.. give it a look over, spray/pour some lube down the bores etc, get a fire extinguisher and just try to start it. if it doesnt go no loss. if it does go youre lucky, till it fucks out from being so fucked. then go buy a runner!

OK, went out to the shed today with a can of WD40 and degreaser, sprayed the head with WD40 tryed turning it over by hand from the crank pully, didnt even move fuck. grabbed the powerbar and a 17mm socket and put it on the the crank pully bolt, and it turns over YAY lol, all the valves and shit are moving nothing is jamed turns over nice and smoothly.

found the distubutor cap in the back along with some leads, took them home and cleaned then.

any ideas on whats next lol ?

at a guess new spark plugs.

put the valve cover back on.

see where those wires hook up to that are around the engine.

connect battery

and try and crank it and see if it gets spark.

one of those things where you go why did someone leave it for 50 years with the valve cover off

normally ends up with an awnser like

"i took the valve cover off to take the head off to fix a bhg, but i diddnt have a 9/16 whitworth allen-socket, and i had a spare truck so i diddnt bother fixing it"

good luck.

before you do anything at all why dont you take the body off and be sure the chassis is not fucked/full of newspaper and liquid nails

• Like 1

one of those things where you go why did someone leave it for 50 years with the valve cover off

normally ends up with an awnser like

"i took the valve cover off to take the head off to fix a bhg, but i diddnt have a 9/16 whitworth allen-socket, and i had a spare truck so i diddnt bother fixing it"

talked to my good mate who i got it from and he said that, when they brought it the engine was in bits they put it together fixed a valve and rebedded it. got the engine running but was smokey and used oil. so they started to pull the engine back down so that they could get the bore honed.

he and his father lost interest in the project and left it how it was (radiator removed/valve cover removed/exhaust manifold removed/leads removed/distubitor cap removed.

he said it should run, considering it turns over nice and sweetly by hand.

said they couldnt get it started with the starter as it just cranked and cranked so they tow started it and it run good apart from being smokey.

Any help now that iv got some background info on the engine ?