engine swap ideas for hillman hunter

Beaver

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Likely Essex, if such things happened.

However. That would be a waste of effort in a conversion that has to be certified, IMO.

If you're going to take the time and effort to do a conversion at least do something that's worth the time.... like a Pinto.

manual bits are getting hard to come by for the v6 holdens though...

otherwise theyr a good choice.

you can get it cammed, acl bits, even throw a 4 barrel on it if you mod the manifold,

and get the loom etc rewired to suit...

they go hard in that form....thats why stockcars use them..

nissan v6's are also ok....but then you may aswell go lexus v8..

I think the holden V6's are just awsum. I know there heavy and have pushsticks but there compact, easy to come by, cheap, go well, easy peasy to conect up the ECU Im a big fan of autos but it depends on the car i guess. I can see one at home n a hillmans engine bay.

You do need to consider why you wont to change the motor. Are you going to drag it, put it on the circuit, race it around town for pink stickers or do it up as a well handleing powerfull car. I've played around with hunters for years and just changing the drive line for a more powerfull motor wouldn't make for a very safe or a good handling car. you would have to consider upgraiding the rest of the brakes and suspension to make it work well. your poket will be getting very empty. Even doing up the stocker motor can push the hunter past it's handling limits.

Not saying that it wouldn't be fun.

Most hot hunters normaly die from ending up in a ditch or off the road when the drivers lost controll when left with stock suspension.

Normaly just renewing the suspension with gas shocks all around is a big leap forward for handling and braking for a hunter.

Just dont be serprised if you do a engine change and it ends up smashed.

Why not be different? Chuck in a nissan A15, and then super/turbo charge it. The A15 is a near indestrucable motor, cheap light, and readliy available. It'd probably weigh less than the hunter motor, so the car would be better to drive right from the get go. No distrespect to the 1725 fiends, but english motors were designed and built in pre war factories with dirt floors. So I'd say repower it, then modify it. You'd be able to get enough bits for the conversion for $500.

edit, I have a drawthrough supercharged A15 in my datsun 1200. Made 124hp and It's run a 14.1@96mph on 10psi. Torque is FTMFW!