engine swap ideas for hillman hunter

Beaver

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How much power are you looking for?

If it was me I'd use an SC14 and supercharge the stock engine.... or turbo. I'd aim for 30-40% more power on the stock engine

im not after huge numbers, just something to give it a bit more ommph, and its not very powerfull now so yeh anything is a bonus. hmmmm supercharging would be sweet, u rekon i could keep the engine stock? just run low boost i spose...5-6psi? il try find a DIY article on the web, unless someone can link me to a good one?

im not after huge numbers, just something to give it a bit more ommph, and its not very powerfull now so yeh anything is a bonus. hmmmm supercharging would be sweet, u rekon i could keep the engine stock? just run low boost i spose...5-6psi? il try find a DIY article on the web, unless someone can link me to a good one?

Done it myself with the Pinto. I liked it better than the turbo setup becase it was an instant 6psi from 1800 rpm on, it felt like a 3L to drive but with the cool blower whine. Running that low boost you don't need to intercool either.

now youve got me excited....lol. ive never done anythign with a superchrager, so whats the story with the carb and that? do u set it up suck through or blow through?

The dirty dog setup is suck through with a 2 inch SU. I went EFI becase I already had it setup.

A friend made me a bracket to mount the blower where the alt was and the alt hung below the blower

blown.jpg

It's well worth doing this is the dyno run...

dyno(1).jpg

I got kicked off before I could do a full run as a paying customer had turned up.

I had a throttle position switch turning the blower on, the start of the red run shows how much power it was adding.

so just to get my head around things, this is basically how it works...

supercharger is mounted against engine, with pully lined up with belt(ill need a longer belt i assume?)

carb is attached(by pipe or whatevea) to intake end of supercharger, and carb is set up as normal with all fuel lines etc as they are

outlet end of supercharger is connected(again by pipe) to inlet manifold of engine (where carb used to be)

that sound about right?

cheers

so just to get my head around things, this is basically how it works...

supercharger is mounted against engine, with pully lined up with belt(ill need a longer belt i assume?)

carb is attached(by pipe or whatevea) to intake end of supercharger, and carb is set up as normal with all fuel lines etc as they are

outlet end of supercharger is connected(again by pipe) to inlet manifold of engine (where carb used to be)

that sound about right?

cheers

Bang on. Only thing I'd recomend is to run twin pulleys as I'm guessing yours is a V belt, the blower runs the multi rib jobbie.

Bang on. Only thing I'd recomend is to run twin pulleys as I'm guessing yours is a V belt, the blower runs the multi rib jobbie.

twin pulley...thats a pully where you can run two belts off it? so one part would have the current belt going on it and the other (outsude i assume) would run a small ribbed belt hooked up to the supercharger?

twin pulley...thats a pully where you can run two belts off it? so one part would have the current belt going on it and the other (outsude i assume) would run a small ribbed belt hooked up to the supercharger?

Yeah I spot welded a japper multi ribbed on the front of my ford crank pulley. They are usually cast iron but I had a 1600 pinto that had a steel one on it so it was Ideal to spot weld

sweet, did u then just run a short belt from that to the supercharger? since its the pully size that determines boost, what size do you rekon i should be using? im not to sure on what boost i should be running, around 6? also, ive had a look on tardme and the sc14s seem to all be going for around 300 buks..decent price u rekon?

cheers

sweet, did u then just run a short belt from that to the supercharger?

Yep, I'll see if I can dig up some pics later

since its the pully size that determines boost, what size do you rekon i should be using? im not to sure on what boost i should be running, around 6? also,

About 150mm from memory for 6psi on a 2L

ive had a look on tardme and the sc14s seem to all be going for around 300 buks..decent price u rekon?

cheers

I paid $250 for an SC12 about a year ago so I guess so.

sweet that would be great!! im seriously considering this now, i better check the bank account first tho, although i scored a sweet paying job for summer so ill be right haha. just wana get all the details down before i jump into it!! youve been heaps of help!! cheers

oh and do you know the difference between a sc12 and sc14?

sweet that would be great!! im seriously considering this now, i better check the bank account first tho, although i scored a sweet paying job for summer so ill be right haha. just wana get all the details down before i jump into it!! youve been heaps of help!! cheers

I loved the blower setup it had torque everywhere in every gear. If you or a friend can make the mount you can do this real cheap. Dare I say it but I used flexi hose to connect the blower to the inlet manifold to start off with :wink:

oh and do you know the difference between a sc12 and sc14?

SC12 has 1200cc swept voulme per rev SC14 haas 1400cc. They have a 10,000 rpm redline, so you could size the pulley so that the blower is running 10,000rpms at the engine's redline for max boost. I wanted to do this but the water pump got in the way.

From memory...

Sc12 is 1000cc-1600cc

Sc14 is 1600cc-2000cc

I ran both on my 2L the SC14 made more boost becase of the larger swept volume.

Sorry to be pain in the ass, but is it possible to leave carb in stock position and run blow through - or is that likely to blow seals?

There are all sorts of ways to run carbs blow through. The easy way to to get a carb from a Lancia turbo as they are set up for it. There's other issues a part from seals, I think you need plastic floats as the metal ones can cloapse under pressure. I'm sure googling it would pull up a heap of info. I've never done it and personally I'd say go efi. :wink:

Is the supercharger supported at the back at all ? Or just off the front 2 mounts - Im guessing mild steel plate 4-5mm thick?

The reason I was asking about blow through, as for myself (and most likely Hunted) , doing it on the cheap, and going efi would kinda defeat the purpose of going on the cheap (time you get a computer & its tuned etc etc)

Is the supercharger supported at the back at all ? Or just off the front 2 mounts - Im guessing mild steel plate 4-5mm thick?

Nope, just mounted from where the alt bracket bolts to the block and the fron tensioner of the thermostat housing.

The reason I was asking about blow through, as for myself (and most likely Hunted) , doing it on the cheap, and going efi would kinda defeat the purpose of going on the cheap (time you get a computer & its tuned etc etc)

For sure, if I was doing it on the cheap since it doesn't need intercooling I'd be going suck through becasue you then don't need to fuk around with the carb you just need one that support 150ish hp bolted to the front of the blower. The only reason I can see to go to the extra cost and hassel of blow through is if you want to run and intercooler and for the time and money to get it setup I'd rather save the extra shekles and go EFI just for tunability :)