engine swap ideas for hillman hunter

Beaver

hey all.

thinking about doing an engine swap for the hunter.....and just wondering if anyone has done or knows someone whos has put something else in one? any thoughts one what would be an easy swap? was thinking perhaps a ca18. i want something that i can get hold of cheaply and that is easy to get parts for. im a student so yeh im poor lol

so yeh, any help would be great

cheers

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hmmm maybe something more mainstream so that parts are easier to find. i want to slowly work it so yeh, something commen that i can get cheap and get cheap parts

The Fiat/Lancia TC is pretty common, they made more or less the same motor for 30 years, regular service parts are available and not expensive. Tuning stuff may be a little more costly, e.g. cams but not ridiculously so. They are a pretty compact unit and easy enough to work on in my experience.

That said I can understand going for a more modern motor, 16v etc. more power, newer motor for the same money probably.

Can do you all the fab work and custom bits to get it in there yourself? What sort of budget are you working to? Putting a modern fuel injected in there will probably be more expensive than putting a carbed v8 in it.

Unless you are good with a welder and have access to heaps of scrap steel etc then theres no such thing as a cheap engine conversion so you'd be best to stick with what you've got.