Ryans GX61

pies

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Do the waterpump and cambelt before you put it in, its only $300 and that comes with the waterpump, cambelt and tensioner, front crank seal and cam seals. Thats pretty obvious though.

Apart from that, its actully a really easy swap. The only problems i have wouldnt effect you anyway.

cool ill do that for sure- did u do any "BPU" boost mods (talking in US Supra talk now pardon me lol) and, howd u bypass TRC? :)

All i did was unplug the TRC, cut it all off and welded up the holes. You will have to ask mike and evan if they had to do anything with the wiring but i dont think they did

Juggernaut the sequential stuff and run the blowers in parallel

Ive heard mixed results on this so i opted not 2. Your more then welcome to try it Nigel :)

cool ill do that for sure- did u do any "BPU" boost mods (talking in US Supra talk now pardon me lol) and, howd u bypass TRC? :)

All i did was unplug the TRC, cut it all off and welded up the holes. You will have to ask mike and evan if they had to do anything with the wiring but i dont think they did

ok cool. was wondering about the electrics but i guess if you just leave the switch open, it never kicks in..... since you physically removed it i guess theres no way it can cause any trouble...

Juggernaut the sequential stuff and run the blowers in parallel

Ive heard mixed results on this so i opted not 2. Your more then welcome to try it Nigel :)

agreed with ryan - all my research points to the fact that running in parallel (aka "TTC" if we continue with the USDM talk) will give you maybe better top end but shithole driveability before 4000rpm - sounds like gay to me - the sequential system (after studying it for ages) is actually one clever piece of engineering. found an awesome site that explains the best(and worst) ways to boost control the sequential setup, i'll paste it in here if youre interested ryan when i get the link at home - basically involves 2 seperate boost controllers one for the first turbo boost level before it prespools the 2nd, and one for the main wastegate when both turbs are running

usually you just mod the main wastegate (lets say, to the "industry recommended" 18psi), but what happens when you up the boost this way is the first turbo only spools halfway (like to factory setting of 9psi or something) then tries to prespool the 2nd too early, thus u get this flatspot as the 2nd comes online while exhaust is robbed from turbo 1 and fed to turbo 2, then suddenly you get a rush of power as the 2nd one comes online, as both turbos then play catchup from 9psi to your new increased 18psi boost setting - "feels" like a rush as power surges in (wastegate shut until 18psi) but puts tons of stress on the turbos (mainly the 2nd turbo since turbo 1 is already spinning close to full speed) as they are trying to come up to boost so suddenly - and so leads to premature failure - moreso with these JDM motors that run the weaker CT12's apparently the common result of boost increases is a blown 2nd turbo due to this issue

solution is, yes, set main wastegate to 18psi, but to also boost control (bleed, or otherwise) the prespool valve as well, so the prespool of the 2nd happens at a much higher boost (so instead of trying to bring turbo 2 online at 9psi, it holds to like 15psi and only THEN starts prespooling 2. this means more gases to keep 1 spinning and prespool 2, less flatspot (since youre now running 15psi on one turbo, before the second even comes online), and then when both are ready to go they dont need to surge to 18psi since boost is already at around 15. less stress = longer life etc etc.

stronger midrange since youre effectively feeding one CT12 with all 6 cylinders until 15psi then bleeding off all the extra exhaust to prespool the other CT12 which will now prespool that much quicker, and then both come online to 18psi = everyones happy

anyway im going to be using the dual boost control method. rather than manually adjusted controllers/bleed valves, the best system would be some kinda electronic boost controller that can control 2 wastegates simultaneously. is there such a thing? like the blitz dual SBC?? not sure if this is actually what the dualSBC does....

• 1 month later...