Esprit's '01 Exige Over-winter refresh

Esprit

12A PP, you'll be able to swap it out within 5 minutes and be able to lift it in and out yourself. Downside is Exiges dont have much room for rotor hoes

from my hazy memory of mr esprit, he is the type of guy whos all about the rota hoez and camo doorcards.

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12A PP, you'll be able to swap it out within 5 minutes and be able to lift it in and out yourself. Downside is Exiges dont have much room for rotor hoes

from my hazy memory of mr esprit, he is the type of guy whos all about the rota hoez and camo doorcards.

Hahah 12As are substantially heavier than a RoverK ;)

And yeah, the Exige is a Chlamydia-free zone so that rules a rotang out ;)

Hahah 12As are substantially heavier than a RoverK ;)

And yeah, the Exige is a Chlamydia-free zone so that rules a rotang out ;)

How light is a K? Must be next to nothing!

Just a quick update. I've got the gearbox back this afternoon, along with a bag of old bits we've replaced. Here's the old 5th gear and 5th/6th selector mechanism.

OldGears.jpg

It's clear that this has run dry and gotten hot which has caused the failure along with previous wear in the box.

Should be good to go from here on in!

Going to spend tomorrow night in the garage after work, get the box back on the engine and hopefully get the engine back in the hole.

Plan is to spend Saturday hooking it all back up and refilling with fluids.

Sunday we'll get the engine started followed by the remounting of all the bodywork ready to get a WOF and rear wheel alignment early in the week.

A small update, but no pics tonight. The engine's back mated with the gearbox after a bit of struggling around, and the engine is now sitting happily back in the engine bay. MASSIVE thanks to Nikki and James Colverson again who this time came around in their stunning electric-lime-coloured Exige S260 to lend a couple of pairs of much-appreciated hands.

It took a good three hours to get the box and engine reunited, then the whole lot back in the engine bay as it put up a decent fight and we were going very carefully. But it's in there now and that means first thing in the morning I can begin the task of hooking everything up. Having the engine already back in is a MASSIVE head start compared to where I wanted to be.

Car will be back in one piece before the end of the weekend! HUZZAH!

Well, so far so good! One day of work down on the car and the car now starts and runs. Today went fairly smoothly with only a couple of minor hiccups but all in all everything went to plan. The engine started pretty easily this time around after a couple of coughs and splutters it started after about 6 seconds on the starter.

Tomorrow I'll be getting the bodywork back in place and hopefully taking the car for a quick shakedown/test run before its WOF and wheel alignment during the week.

Smooth sailing.

Well a VERY full on day today, has kept me very busy!

I spent the fist part of the day making up some brackets to hold the fire extinguisher nozzles in the engine bay. No photos of these yet, as they're currently curing as I've bonded them to the back face of the dressing panels in the engine bay. Should be good to fit next weekend.

The remainder of the day was spent refitting the rear clam and hatch with the help of my good friend Richy, followed by the rear arches etc. and I got finished about an hour ago:

TogetherAgain01.jpg

TogetherAgain02.jpg

TogetherAgain03.jpg

The camera and car looks like shit as it was just my phone and I've not yet cleaned it so it's caked in shit. That can wait for a week or two until I'm sure that it's not going to have to come to bits again.

The only minor pisser was that the rear clam has picked up a scratch in the past few months sitting in the garage where I suspect my landlord was a little clumsy getting his toolbox out past the clam. Most of it'll buff out and it's not too noticeable but it did just piss me off a bit. I've not done anything with the bodywork on the car yet, so I guess I'll get it 100% next year if I can be bothered when I respray the car to get it perfect.

In the meantime, I'm having a beer to celebrate a hard day's work. I'm looking forward to getting the wheel alignment and WOF done this week so I can start putting some miles on.

Took her for her first drive today! Well first in her current iteration anyway. Took it over to get a wheel alignment done and it behaved a lot nicer on the way home.

It's got a 6500RPM limiter on it so it's killing the power at about the 170nhp mark but you can feel she just wants to take off! It's sounding a lot better than it did before too.... creamily smooth and sounds so crisp!

No leaks, no rattles, gearbox is behaving itself, so touch wood it's all looking good.

It's idling happily at 1050RPM but sounds like it wants to rip your face off doing it.

Handling is incredible. It's been so long since I've driven it, I'm falling in love all over again.

Tomorrow lunchtime I'mma take it down to get its WOF so it's all officially road legal again, then I just need some nice fine weekend days to start racking up some miles. With daylight savings and long sunny* evenings only another week away... timing couldn't have been better**.

* Sunny not guaranteed.... actually this is the most unpredictable time of year weatherwise.

** Actually it'd have been nice this time of year three years ago thanks!