all you ideas please for removing axels

d.p.n.s

hi all

im trying to remove the axels from my 35year old diff :mrgreen:

and im having problems.

i would use a dent puller/slid hammer but i dont have one.

so come on boys and girls what have you used in the past to remove them

and yes its still on the car.

cheers

dan

Go down to the nearest hire centre and hire a slide hammer, it will cost about $6 and is WELL worth it.

If you are real lazy/cheap make sure it is very secure on axle stands etc and bolt a wheel back on, then pull, kick or wack the wheel with something untill it comes off.

But seriously, just get a slide hammer.

Sometimes even the slide hammer is no good and an old wheel bolted to the axle must be punished hard with a sledge hammer.

The trouble with that method is it is hard to get a good swing and it is exhausting smashing the shit out of a rim whilst lying on your side underneath the back of a car so sooner or later you will miss and hit something you didn't want to :twisted: .

all done

tryed hire pool,hirequip they dont do them

then one guy said try butler auto mart they hire shit out.

so i rang them he said no!!! but we do have a axle remover that looks like a slidhammer :mrgreen:

$15 so i got it,got home opened garage showed slid hammer to diff and the axles just jumped out

took about a 30sec to do one slid and the other was easyer.

cheers guys

and for the lads in chch butler auto mart 261 stanmore rd.

dan

Be worth checking the state of the bearings on the halfshafts now you've got them off. You can get heavier duty plates that bolt it all up as well... Brent Tiney at Raycroft Autos - Down the bottom of Raycroft Street off the Shakespeare St/Brougham/Opawa yunction knows all about them.

Muahahahahaha!

I guess a jug of boiling water would be sweet too - I hadn't thought of it untill you mentioned the fryer.

EDIT for saftey: We are talking about the lock collars - not the bearings Kiwixr3i

thanks for clearing that up lol

i was just goin to bash shit out of them to get the bearings off

is that not the best way

I have a slide hammer kit you can borrow dude your more than welcome to pick it up tomorrow from work if you want .

I will be on a coarse i the morning but there after 12.30 :wink:

thanks mate but tls all done..

just got to get the bearings of now

ill keep you in mind next time..

dan

Uri Geller is a bit short of work these days, i reckon he'd stoop to using his amazing mind powers to get the retaining ring off and put new ones on.

be cool to watch too, hed be all stairing at the axle and shit then BAM!!! off your retaining ring fucks!!

sweet.

actually, while he's there, get him to do some other cunty jobs that are hard to reach/require heaps of effort, like listen to your misses talk about the days shopping. might be a bit pricey to get him to do this though.....

sheepers the cool.

The old lock collars come off with an angle grinder/cold chisel sweet.

The toaster/deep fryer is for the new ones. Heat them up and they should chatter down the axle and only need a few small hammer taps to send them home (after the bearing is on of course)

You gotta cut the old locking rings off with a grinder or a gas torch. Sometimes the bearing will need warming to go over the axles too. Not hot, just warming. To press the new rings on, take out your wheel studs, place the axle on the ground, and slide a peice of pipe over the axle. (obviously it has to have a smaller hole than the OD of the ring) Then bash the pipe down with a fucking big hammer. I usually use a heat gun or a gas plant to heat the rings. And Ideally a bearing heater to get the bearings on.

Just don't forget the backing plates before you put the bearings on. I haven't done thing, but plenty of people have :rolleyes: