Rounded off bolt. How do i get it out!?!

efp0wa

Hey guys, I'm changing my rear brake pads on my ef8. I did the left side wit no problems.

I just went to do the right side and the bottom calliper bolt is totaly rounded off!! How do i get this stuffed bolt out?

I'm frustrated to the baddest now, i guess i should put the old pad back on the left side for the mean time?

Thanks.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ive tried vice grips = no go

ive tried making the edges new with a chisel and then fitting a smaller socket = no go

dunno how the hell an angel grinder would help. i feel fucked off. do i dare take it down to the brake shop??

Angle grinder = grind the head of the bolt off, remove caliper, use grips on remaining bolt to remove, should be easier with little tension on it.

You obviously have to replace the bolt anyway being it's too rounded to get off in the first place, if nothing else is working, go the grinder route.

I don't think a flare wrench is what you are thinking of Boe. A flare wrench is like a ring spanner except for a cut out slot.

They are normally used for brake line tube nuts auw.

dunno, iv got a set of self adjusting vintage ones, they grip to anything and only get tighter

i think kyteler's technique is going to be the simplest.

i dnt have access to a welder so i cant welt a bolt onto the welded one and theres no clearance for it anyway.

i have some stilcins great for the job but once again there isnt enough clearance to get at the bolt wiht them.

bolts on calipers usually get their tightness (is that a work) , from the head stopping against the metal and the threads stretching . grinding the head off and taking the caliper from the mounting body might be the way methinks.

and even if it is tight then there is more stud for stilsons to pwn it off