Mild steel intake?

cute wee gem

Since I'm poor, I'm making a mild steel intake. :lol: (not for the gem)

Basically what I need to know is what coating I can use that won't be effected by petrol and will prevent it rusting on the inside. I was thinking por15?

On a bit of a budget build so yuh.

just do nothing/paint it with a spraycan if your on a budget.

its not going to go anywhere/if your lucky it may go a tinge of brown inside if you leave it sitting for 10 years yo.

por15/"wattyl rust kill"/powdercoating looks sexy tho.

matty b ftw.

Carb or injected?

If carb, do nothing is fine, If injected, rattle can some zinc primer on there. The petrol will wash away the paint where it touches it, but the bits the petrol touches won't rust anyway (oily residue from the additives).

Nothing wrong with mild steel intakes anyway :-)

I would do it in gun blue.

If you can't afford a gun blue kit then reaaly old, buggered engine oil that is full of carbon can help. Basically get the manifold red hot and dunk it in the old oil which will soak into the steel. Best to look up the actual method as I have never done it

don't paint it with POR 15.

POR 15 is useless at sticking to smooth surfaces, like a piece of mild steel for instance.

the paint will end up inside your engine which isn't the best place for it.

sheepers.

Quoted for truth. POR15 peels of new steel like a banana skin

Quoted for truth. POR15 peels of new steel like a banana skin

Thing with POR15 is you need to use their kit. Some Marineclean and some MetalPrep will make it work wonders.

I did the rocker cover and oil cap (mild steel pressings) on the TR7 in that about 7 years ago. After soaking in oil, suffering knocks and general wear and tear it looks every bit as shiny and unmarked as it did the day I painted it.

in engine oil meeeeaaaannn rugged carbon steel ftw rofl would stop it from rusting though i spose

member doing similar thing in engineering at tech made carbon steel took ages and all just to shatter my piece drawing big doodles on the picnic table by automotive

or get it zinc/nickle plated not that expensive and tough as and the don't miss any spots,

zinc is all good

or zinc nickle ie crome if you're poor (most of the money is in the polishing after the dips so you could ask to do that yourself)

Guest vvega
or get it zinc/nickle plated not that expensive and tough as and the don't miss any spots,

zinc is all good

or zinc nickle ie crome if you're poor (most of the money is in the polishing after the dips so you could ask to do that yourself)

nickle is put on normally before chrome