Pog’s X1/9

Muzzie

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seats need some give so you won't break your spine in a crash. I'd get rid of the criscross in the back of it because that could cause a lot of pain in a crash.

Have a look at a well made steel frame seat to get ideas - sparco sprint is the best example. They are all steel rails for the shape + material to sit on + foam to keep it comfortable and a cover on top. It's possible you could crash your car backwards into a wall at a trackday oneday, could hurt.

yea, you might be right. Although if I weld sheetmetal into it then that will make it super stiff anyway. hmm that wont make the joints any stronger tho so a fair call.

well, it would, depends on the thickness of the sheet, .8/1mm, less so, 1.2-1.6 hell yeah, but, yeah, without ...... that'd just make me nervous aye :P

Seats need some give so you won't break your spine in a crash. I'd get rid of the criscross in the back of it because that could cause a lot of pain in a crash.

Have a look at a well made steel frame seat to get ideas - sparco sprint is the best example. They are all steel rails for the shape + material to sit on + foam to keep it comfortable and a cover on top. It's possible you could crash your car backwards into a wall at a trackday oneday, could hurt.

yeah man ... thats the kind of thinking I'm talking about .. the what if .. this happens and ... (like much)

Yeah was a bit surprised to see this. Not meaning to be a killjoy (or commenting on your skills etc.) but seats are critical safety wise and not really something to scrimp on. You can probably find something second hand for a couple of hundy surely? You definitely not the 1st person putting a race seat in an X? can you not bolt a seat directly to the floor to get it lower rather than having it on rails?

Yeah was a bit surprised to see this. Not meaning to be a killjoy (or commenting on your skills etc.) but seats are critical safety wise and not really something to scrimp on. You can probably find something second hand for a couple of hundy surely? You definitely not the 1st person putting a race seat in an X? can you not bolt a seat directly to the floor to get it lower rather than having it on rails?

To get anywhere near close enough using a standard race seat I would need to cut the floor out and weld in a new lower one - people have done this even on X1/9 road cars to get the extra space. I have fitted up a very low kevlar race seat to the existing rails, but it still means I need to have the roof off if I want to wear a helmet. The rails are already welded directly to the floor (from factory) to give more room, but this obviously isn't enough - my existing race reat setup probably would't be a problem for a short arse, but I am 6'3"...

If I could find a suitable steel framed seat I could modify it to suit but I have been looking for a year now and not found the right one. I probably would be happy to lower the floor and get this certed, but this seems overkill for the 1 or 2 times a year I do track days.

The way I see it, club days are not very serious, with no full on racing - and if it is ok to go out on the track with my standard seats that have 30 odd years of wear and amazing lack of support, then I am far better off with the new seat anyway.....?

PS - I appreciate the contructive criticism.... :blackeye:

So I have just gone through the low volume cert regulations for this (again), and for an unstressed seat there is a defined loading that the seat must withstand. This tells me that to make the seat more deformable is not a go. We run Solidworks at my business so I think I will model the whole thing and do some FEA on it to make sure it conforms to the regulations etc...

• 1 month later...
Yea, was just picking it up after getting a wheel alignment done post epic suspension improvements, is minty mint now.

Traffic is totally shit in that car, until you hit a clear spot then it is bazookas...

lol,its somewhat of a sleeper,seeing it driving down the rd you wouldnt suspect it gets up and goes mental,lmao.looks good with the small bumpers,i wasnt too keen on them in the photos but seeing them in real life changed my opinion 8)

• 12 years later...
9 minutes ago, yoeddynz said:

Yes @downtime I believe we all at oldschool want to see @ThePog get his car back :thumbleft:

I may or may not be going to have a looksee some time this week, I can neither confirm nor deny.

As a completely unrelated aside, do you know of any handy rust repair people in the area perchance?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

The one we had up till fairly recently was a very good shell. They are around - but you have to pay for a good one.

In a lot of ways I'm pissed we got shot of it - but with downsizing/health scares/old fucking age it had to go.

Once suspension and correct rims were sorted it was a fun thing.

• Like 1