Pog’s X1/9

Muzzie

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

58 minutes ago, yoeddynz said:

I'm very excited about this decision you have made. Going to watch this unfurl with much interest.

I've got popcorn and everything.

Also - is this some sort of Rothmans liveried racy transhit...

Screenshot 2023-06-17 at 20-16-53 ThePog who once was Ladaspeed's Fiat X1_9.png

Suspect this lives/works at the ford dealership next to the fuel station where this photo was taken, I popped a snap of it back in December shortly after we visited you guys! 

IMG-20221217-163839.jpg

• Like 3

Assuming the real reason for tucking it in the container was to ensure it sweatily rusts away into oblivion...

Or to get it away from T seeing it every day. Bring it out once she's talking to you again..

Did it come with engine?? 

14 minutes ago, HumberSS said:

Assuming the real reason for tucking it in the container was to ensure it sweatily rusts away into oblivion...

Or to get it away from T seeing it every day. Bring it out once she's talking to you again..

Did it come with engine?? 

Its complete and running apart from the heater fan apparently.

I am going to set up some sort of dehumidifier in there.

It cant come out until I finish the caravan at least.

• 3 weeks later...
57 minutes ago, ThePog said:

So many wires and relays and fuses. I don't understand, all it needs is lights, indicators and power to the fuel pump and coil....?

PXL_20230709_044521201.thumb.jpg.cfe5e4cdebf5be6d06d47365fa468937.jpg

One vote for toss it all in the fire and start again. Those fuses give me nightmares.

Don't forget the thermostat controlled fan.....which invariably has stopped working.

I was told the light switch on ours didn't work when the PO got it. His wife apparently sat in it flicking the switch until the corrosion wore off. Around half an hour.....

Italian motorcycles are just as bad.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, GregT said:

Don't forget the thermostat controlled fan.....which invariably has stopped working.

I was told the light switch on ours didn't work when the PO got it. His wife apparently sat in it flicking the switch until the corrosion wore off. Around half an hour.....

Italian motorcycles are just as bad.

Yea all of that will get a once over when it goes back together. I have a lot of useful kit/sensors/wiring/connectors left over now the truck is mostly done, I might even go hard and replace the heater tubes that run inside the tunnel if they are looking dodgy.

Yeah I was appalled at how much wiring is in an X1/9 when I started poking around mine. I tihnk half of the issue is that there's a whole bunch of wires that probably fit really neatly for  LHD drive car, but they've got massive linking looms over to the switchgear and back for RHD. 

I had a similar 'can I just rip it all out and run my own, much simpler wiring' when I saw the snakes nest for the first time!

Also, I can thoroughly recommend an Uno Turbo swap. Mine went great, even if it was running on 3.75 cylinders. Engine they were supposed to come with, in my opinion. Mine was a 1.3 Mk1 engine with a boost valve to a smidge under 1 bar, until the last dodgy cheap jubilee left from the PO that I hadn't changed snapped and it dumped a load of coolant and overheated, popping the headgasket. I had the replacement in the passenger's footwell for a month! Lesson in deferred maintenance...

Edit: also, on a wiring related note, if you have rear foglights I'd recommend pulling them out. They were retrofitted to UK cars to meet our regulations, but were done cheaply with wiring that clearly wasn't up to the job. This was mine when I found it while tracing a battery drain.

50651736418_3482174dc7_b.jpg

That was melted through all along the length of the interior, sandwiched between the tunnel and the carpet. Not often you find a car fire moments before it happens!

Edit edit: also also, I expect you've come across the advice before but if you're keeping the original wiring it's worth putting some extra relays in for the dip beams. Main beams are off a relay, but dips go straight through the switchgear and like to burn stuff out. There's also another unused main power in spade somewhere on the fusebox I can't remember. It helps to run another power feed there if you're running more electrical load than usual (say with electronic management).

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, BiTurbo228 said:

Yeah I was appalled at how much wiring is in an X1/9 when I started poking around mine. I tihnk half of the issue is that there's a whole bunch of wires that probably fit really neatly for  LHD drive car, but they've got massive linking looms over to the switchgear and back for RHD. 

I had a similar 'can I just rip it all out and run my own, much simpler wiring' when I saw the snakes nest for the first time!

Also, I can thoroughly recommend an Uno Turbo swap. Mine went great, even if it was running on 3.75 cylinders. Engine they were supposed to come with, in my opinion. Mine was a 1.3 Mk1 engine with a boost valve to a smidge under 1 bar, until the last dodgy cheap jubilee left from the PO that I hadn't changed snapped and it dumped a load of coolant and overheated, popping the headgasket. I had the replacement in the passenger's footwell for a month! Lesson in deferred maintenance...

Edit: also, on a wiring related note, if you have rear foglights I'd recommend pulling them out. They were retrofitted to UK cars to meet our regulations, but were done cheaply with wiring that clearly wasn't up to the job. This was mine when I found it while tracing a battery drain.

50651736418_3482174dc7_b.jpg

That was melted through all along the length of the interior, sandwiched between the tunnel and the carpet. Not often you find a car fire moments before it happens!

Edit edit: also also, I expect you've come across the advice before but if you're keeping the original wiring it's worth putting some extra relays in for the dip beams. Main beams are off a relay, but dips go straight through the switchgear and like to burn stuff out. There's also another unused main power in spade somewhere on the fusebox I can't remember. It helps to run another power feed there if you're running more electrical load than usual (say with electronic management).

I was super happy with that tipo engine, it pulled to 9k no problem and was a real screamer. So apart from fixing any mechanical issues not much will change in that area.

I ordered a loom kit today and will find an extra relay setup for the headlamps, no sense loading up vintage italian switchgear for no reason.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...