Mitsi 4G Ring Sealing.

RWD4G62NZ

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was thinking of the ajax powder trick. Buy the stuff from supermarkets for about $3 bucks. Warm engine up then hold it @ around 5 to 6000 rpm & drop a couple of table spoon fulls into the intake. The grit in the powder scuffs up the bores & rings & will remove any glazing & the rings may start to seal better after this is done. I noticed results by the lessened amount of exhaust smoke straight away. Remember to change the oil & filter straight away as you dont want this crap in your oil. ( i didnt do this in my vr4 engine by the way)

Cheer blueex,

Funny, another mate was at work today (older guy) and he sugessted the exact same thing but with chalk dust rather than Ajax. Same concept though and obviously the same as brasso or Jiff but in a dry sense.

I'm gona give this a try though as really I have fuck all to loose! My rings are new so they should take up and the chalk/ajax should soak up any oil in the bore and cut a new track for themselves. If it does not work then she's out for a rebuild but who knows she may come right.

I think I'll keep it well away from my newely rebuilt turbo though!!!

Cheers for the advise as Rangi as it is!!! LOL.

Only problem I see with this powder down the bores thing is the RPM's.

I dont know if I can get my engine up that high in the revs in it's current state of tune! I spose 4 to 4.5 grand should be enough, I dont what to rev the pants off it too much untill I know how rich/lean it is.

True, but I haven't fucked with the timing at all. Just static timed it on the dizzy. I'm not sure how to adjust timing on the laptop so if she's too retarded it may not rev out.

Fuck it tho, I'll just rev it to whatever and hurf it in and see what happens!

I'm sure it wont be happy about a lung full of chalk but if it works then fucken rock on!!!

Yea I kinda figured he must be taking the piss, I dont know anyone keen enough to throw sand into their engine unless they really hate the car with a vengence!!!

Gona do the Ajax in the bores thing this weekend. I've been driving the car around for a few days now loading it up and stuff. I also got rid of the good oil that was in it and put some shit multigrade repco stuff in it and it seems to be a bit better on the blowby. Maybe it could be starting to bed in with some driving. The good oil may have been a bit too good maybe?

Will C how it goes with the AJAX!

dont attack me but appraently some mitis came out with chrome bores? so with crhome rings and chrome bores that= tryna mark a mark in ice with a plastic boot , ring then up they can tell you what cars that were affected alternativly you could wiat till thurs next week when im in vegas and visiting my automotive teacher *ex mitsi mech*

• 8 months later...

Ive just rebuilt a 4g63 with new rings and block has been honed, also has a new head gasket. I need to retorque the head after running the engine for 10mins, but unsure what my best approach is cause the rings need to bed in also, do I take the car for a mean thrash or just sit it at 3k or something?

Iver talked to a couple of mechanics at work, and they just say that 4g mitsies just have super hard bores and are a bitch no matter what you do.

I havent had any problems with the 2 i've slapped together, and they were just a re-hone and re-ring job.