PAINT THREAD

dylan

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you can put an matting base additive in 2k and clear coat if you want. it works well. most paint companies have this product. PPG have it etc. you can get the paint shop to add it to your paint, or buy it your self and have a play with it. spray some test panels first to get your satin, or matt finish you are after. only paint over 800 wet or 500 with sander. matt finish show up everything, dents, sanding marks, it sounds weird but its true!

morning all ive just painted my car over the weekend painted it in 2k but as beening new to a spray gun theres the odd run and a bit or orange peal im goin to clear coat the car so am i just to clear over it or can i wet sand it back or will it dull the paint ???

I'm not sure on the results you will get, usually if you want a pearl you use a base clear system. It will be difficult for you to get it flat and straight while still being glossy enough not to look dull under the clear.

I could be completely wrong, I'm a noob at this stuff.

The problem I envisage (again I am not an expert), is that you will need to scuff/ key the colour to make the clear stick to it, and if you did buff it you will run into the trouble of introducing a foreign chemical into the paint that could react with the clear.

Scuffing and clearing shouldn't be a problem, I have done intermediate clear let it dry then scuffed and laied down more clear, its how you do certain metal flakes, lace etc etc forget buffing.

So you used a single stage 2k and now want to clear? should have just gone base coat, then the clear/pearl then more normal clear? I recommend doing a test panel and see what results you get.

I just talked to my panel beater, the first think he asked was how much colour did you put on? Next he asked how bad the runs were? because they can be a different colour to the rest of the paint. and then He said that you can do it with, and you should 2000 grit it to get rid of the runs and peel, and to be extra careful not to sand through the edges.

you can use a razer blade to file down the run til its close to the surface, then grab a wet block with 800 wet to file down a bit more and then 2000 wet block to sand out the 800 marks. are you like clearing over a 2k colour? like a blue, red. yellow etc. if you sand the peel and get your runs out, it will be sweet to clear over 2000 grit marks and use scotch brite scuff pad to got the areas you cant get with the 2000 sand paper. but yeah don't sand throw or you will have a mess on your hands.