The downfalls of extractor wrap

zep

So I've just got my new turbo manifold and I was thinking it'd be nice to do something to keep the heat down, or at least stop them from rusting.

First option, and easiest is to get some high temp paint and spray them, but I've done this before and had it burn off!!!

The other ideas are to use some extractor wrap. I know this is good to keep the heat down but I've heard it's not good for the headers, can anyone verify this and why it is so?

I did ring HPC and the woman quoted me "more than $290" which is far beyond my price range.

Leon

I have heard that it can make manifolds crack easier as it doesnt dicipate the heat, Have no idea weather this is true. Some of the big HKS etc cars have heat wrap so it cant be that bad.

If you do heat wrap there is a certain way to put it on. Think you start at the middle then work up then back down all in one peice. Cant member but there is a proper way to do it.

Is this why the cheap chrome look aftermarket highrise manifolds on trademe break? When they get ugly and purple people heat wrap them and they do the above. Not made well plus extra heat.

yea those ones on trademe are only made from crappy thinwall s/s and have no support bars to take the weight so they crack weather you wrap them or not... s/s is not good to use for turbo headers it doesn't like being heated to red and cooled to many times b4 it become britle.

as long as you have thickwalled m/s ones with at least one mount going off to the block then you should never be able to crack them (other that your exchast system bottoming out on the ground).

it'll take a long time to rust through 3mm thick steel if you did use wrap.

His manifold is made from schedual 40 mild steel steam pipe it will take the heat. I personaly would'nt wrap it that will reduce the life of the material for sure the only option in my opinion is getting them ceramic coated but feck thats dear as. Just leave them they will be fine.

I spoke to an exhaust dude that seemed to know what he was talking about. I was enquiring about turbo manifolds and materials to make them out of. He said a common mistake was that alot of people make them out of steam pipe which rusts and flakes. You know what happens on the outside? That also occurs on the inside. So all those little flakes of steel will be flying through your turbo. The only way to get around this is to get it HPC coated (or have your manifold made out of s/s originally). He said alot of people over look this, as so many exhaust manifolds are made from steam pipe.

I spoke to an exhaust dude that seemed to know what he was talking about. I was enquiring about turbo manifolds and materials to make them out of. He said a common mistake was that alot of people make them out of steam pipe which rusts and flakes. You know what happens on the outside? That also occurs on the inside. So all those little flakes of steel will be flying through your turbo. The only way to get around this is to get it HPC coated (or have your manifold made out of s/s originally). He said alot of people over look this, as so many exhaust manifolds are made from steam pipe.
bit hard to beleive isnt it, theres hundereds of modified turbo cars around with steam pipe manis and you never hear of any turbos getting munched as a result, theres a reason people use steam pipe and thats cos its good.

I thought they used it purely because it was cheaper than stainless and is easier to weld. For years cars have had extractor systems made of steam pipe and the average chap just assumes that a turbo manifold is no different.

I mean by all chances it was just a guy trying to sell me a stainless manifold, but he would have made more money out of a steampipe manifold anyway. It made sense to me, why would it rust on one side and not on the other? Theres far more moisture on the inside than the outside after all. I think the reason they look good on the inside it because the rust flakes get blown through the system.

rust *isn't* going to be an issue on the inside of a manifold, esp not a turbs one.....

if it is, then your turbo exhaust housing' gonna corrode to shit, inside and out, etc.....

moisture buildup, and, moisture staying stationary long enough to corrode, is only a problem on the inside, further down the exhaust....

everything else turbo runs cast iron manifolds sotck, can't see how steam pipe will rust out in the lifespan of anything 'modified' in NZ when stock shizz doesn't... cracking's going to be far more of an issue

hmmm I've been in this debate several times. I have heard that wrap can corrode your pipe. It's something that the americans still use a lot in their racing and haven't learnt to move onto better things such as ceramic coating.

However, I've always used it.. for years.. and I've never seen any signs of corrosion. I've got the same problem with my new turbo manifold.. I need to do something but don't know what..

I can't even find anyone who does coating..