SUGGESTIONS/RECOMMENDATIONS FOR VIVA CONVERSION

Probably would be better to go rover V8 over 308 just because they are far more common these days. Datsun parts/engines in general are getting expensive, would make the suggestion if you were to go that way look at the d21/Navara engine perhaps, a z16 even should be around 100hp and shouldn't be hard to find. Maybe the viva breaks and diff would be up to it, I don't really know. Lots of great engines out there.

• Like 1

When Vauxhall fitted the OHC 1800 into the Viva, they also upgraded the suspension, brakes and diff with items from the larger Victor.  So any engine swap will likely require similar upgrades, either requiring sourcing a rusty 1800 HC Viva or Magnum as a donor, or a potentially expensive drivetrain swap from something more modern.  So the most affordable option would be a mildly worked 1256, that doesn't require any other parts or certifying (iirc 20% extra power before cert required).

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, locost_bryan said:

So the most affordable option would be a mildly worked 1256, that doesn't require any other parts or certifying (iirc 20% extra power before cert required).

Technically, requires cert due to capacity increase, regardless of power increase

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, cletus said:

Technically, requires cert due to capacity increase, regardless of power increase

That's an unfortunate quirk of the system, especially as the HC had the 1159 for less than 2 years, and had the 1256 for the other 7 years.

However, just making the period tuning mods to the 1159 will make reasonable power anyway.

image.png.062e170ad88f269667ea58a3d1a687aa.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, locost_bryan said:

However, just making the period tuning mods to the 1159 will make reasonable power anyway.

The 1159 is garbage and must be thrown in the bin.

There was much more done to the 1256 in terms of tuning.  The 1159 in SL90 or Brabham spec was definitely better than a stock 1256, but a worked 1256 is better than them all.

3 hours ago, vivaspeed said:

None. And if they did, most wouldn’t care.

I'd be more concerned about the insurance company tbh, any excuse to avoid paying out.

Are there many 1256 engines around? Maybe all the ones pulled out of Chevettes when fitting Gemini twincams was all the rage?

• Like 1

Thinking about going the v8 route, something that I have thought about a few times in an HC, there are a few options. Rover 3500, Small Block Chev, 308 Holden, Chev LS

They were sold in South Africa with a 302 chev as a Chevrolet Can Am. A weapon from my research.

I like the 308 holden, especially the late injected ones, as they are a RH drive motor so more space on the drivers side.

I have been led to believe an LC/LJ torana front end bolts into the cross member holes with a simple pick up for the rear mounts that a viva doesnt have (There is a HB viva wagon around with a LJ torana front grafted on, all the body lines line up). That would sort most of the front issues, HQ Holden rotors with HZ calipers can be made to fit easily. Good luck finding one.

Almost anything decent will require some surgery on the trans tunnel, and possibly the firewall. And some sort of stronger diff, Hi Lux might be narrow enough.

My mum bought one new in 1973 and I have always like the shape, They just need some decent wheels and more horse power.

Always happy to help others spend silly amounts of money and all their spare time.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...