1967 Morris FG Cabover

HumberSS

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 04/05/2023 at 11:20, dmulally said:

What's the best way to deal with them? Email, call, visit? 

It's about 4 hours away from me so I can't exactly pop in easily sadly. 

Visiting is the only way I have ever got anyone there to do anything, and even then the old woman at the counter is possibly one of the worst creatures I have ever met. Make sure your wallet is full, and either be prepared to walk away or pay whatever price she pulls out of her arse (despite being quoted a different, lower price).

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

On 07/05/2023 at 06:33, cubastreet said:

I'm heading to New Plymouth in a few weeks, can drop by Horopito if they've got something there. 

I can't make sense of this?

New Plymouth and Horopito are not on the same path to anywhere, except the path from Horopito to New Plymouth...

• Haha 1

I couldnt get through to them so put it on the backburner to attend to some dramas with my s-type.

I'll just have to keep an eye open whilst doing the rest of the truck as it is holding water for now anyway.

Next thing to sort will be the rust. I have bought a door from a 1930's pommy something and pick it up this weekend. Only $10 and cheaper than buying fresh steel from Steel and Tube. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, dmulally said:

Next thing to sort will be the rust. I have bought a door from a 1930's pommy something and pick it up this weekend. Only $10 and cheaper than buying fresh steel from Steel and Tube. 

nice clean new zinc coated sheet is soooo nice to work with and not that expensive :-)

Hey mate just happened upon this thread-suddenly been a bit of FG activity in NZ (the deals on wheels tow truck resto and the awesome race transporter) and the duck island truck-all of which I missed being distracted elsewhere last few years.

I have factory workshop manual I’m happy to get you a copy of, though they are pretty basic and logical to figure out.

I bought a couple of these back in the mid to late 1990’s off NZTS, (now alsco) who ram them as laundry trucks up until 96 when transits took over. The ones I purchased had been converted to Falcon 250’s with 3 underfloor CNG tanks. Could go AL to Welly for about $50 with a $26 fill in Taihape.

one long gone I’m in the protracted restoration of the other-need to stop procrastinating and building other cars and finish it…

single rear axles. Yours almost certainly started life as a 4cyl, 2.2 (or 2.4 if it’s 74ish or later which is unlikely) and likely ratio is 5.9:1, I swapped 4.58:1 rear crown and pinion into mine, and they are a v strong rear, but the options you mention would make it a lot easier. Badges on side should be 360FG 350FG, or FGK30. This is the model  dual wheels were on the Fgk40 upwards  which also had the 6cyl Austin donk, through to the FGK100 which were usually big diesels.

• Like 6

22 hours ago, STB said:

Ha  just looked a bit more and read the thread… Yours has the correct 6cyl cab floor and engine cover and wheels and obv is a dual rear so , is def a 550fg…

Lovely looking truck and thanks for posting. 

Just wondering if you know the GVM of the 550fg? I'm still not sure what it falls under but I'd be keen to put it through a wof if possible so was going to swap to a single wheel diff.