XY Fairmont - rivalrx - Discussion

rivalrx

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jealous how tidy that looks. Things like the Fairmont wheel arch trims look mint.

Is actually pretty cool being a factory bench 6, and really interesting being a SAFer. Understand you wanting a big 8 in it, tho I'd be tempted to Barra. :) Pleased you're keeping the original bits... 

And yeah the 7" 5 slots are a good looking wheel. Got a set of 15 x 7 globes for mine I should tidy up...

I have toyed with a barra turbo option and I'm at a 15% likelihood at this stage - I love the simplicity of a small block Ford 351c

I can't be too mad at the bench front seat as it has a fold down arm rest and the back section dips down in the middle and kind of looks like buckets anyway.

The seats need a reco and dash top is toast also. I probable will get the door cards all mint at the same time however that will be in a few months as I'm tapped out $

100% keeping all the original bits and its going to be a homage to a Fairmont GS. 

2BC2B458-67AD-49D4-A382-A1F9379BB8A4_1_201_a.jpeg

• Like 5

It has a cream/white hood lining which is another thing I will put back to black. Strangely enough the South African XY Fairmont's don't have the rear inner C pillar courtesy lights. I will plonk some in when doing the hood lining.

I never thought I'd like a "yellow" car but it's bloody nice and not too common either. I will probably leave the black paint under the sill trim bit paint over the rear lower guards black paint as it ruins the lines IMHO and isn't factory.

New all black interior, cheeky black shaker and black front lower lip spoiler and I reckon it will be looking great.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, cletus said:

Sweet!

Is there much difference between SA spec Fairmonts and the NZ/AU ones? 

Did they get regular falcons there? 

I know a guy who imported a GT from SA, he said it was basically the same but was called a Fairmont GT instead of a Falcon 

Some info here https://www.safairmontgt.com.au/

12 minutes ago, cletus said:

Sweet!

Is there much difference between SA spec Fairmonts and the NZ/AU ones? 

Did they get regular falcons there? 

I know a guy who imported a GT from SA, he said it was basically the same but was called a Fairmont GT instead of a Falcon 

I'm sure there were no XY Falcons in SA. All I can see is that the SA Fairmont's have the following differences from the AUS/NZ cars (happy to be corrected):

Factory black below the sill trim

No courtesy light in the inner C pillar

Unsure if NZ Fairmont's has the bench with fold down arm rest? 

There seem to be more XY GT Fairmont's there than straight XY Fairmont's?

For some further context re the GT's, this information was taken from www.aussiexport.com:

What is the difference between a South African XW/XY Fairmont GT and an Australian XW/XY Falcon GT?

The Australian XW/XY Falcon GT was in fact made on the Fairmont production line, so they are really a fairmont as well, though Falcon GT does sound better.

The reason the GT's were badge Fairmont GT in South Africa is because they never had a Falcon over there in those days, they had XR and XT Fairmont's, but no Falcons, so to keep the model name continuing, when the XW and XY GT's were sold there, they rebadged them to be a Fairmont GT.

There are a couple of differences between the cars, but it's only cosmetic. These cars are a full spec GT.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, Lord Gruntfuttock said:

I've got a mate with a factory XY 6 cyl Fairmont wagon. Dont think it has armrest in front bench...?

(might have buckets actually, I'll have to check it out).

Yea I haven't seen any XY Fairmont's in NZ with that bench seat arm rest situation and I've recently seen another XY Fairmont ex SA with the same front seat.

Great cars . I had one . 302W auto.  I put a floor shifter from a Sierra in it . The bucket seats were like Lazy Boys!! I often look on car jam to see if it's still alive somewhere......yes miss it heaps FY2178 . They are definitely the best model . 

• Like 2