XY Fairmont - rivalrx - Discussion

rivalrx

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone interested, my brake booster rebuild was $380 and shat is delivered back to me from Christchurch.

I had shops saying $700 + gst therefore I shopped around.

I will let you all know if this fixes the brakes and no doubt some of you might hear me screaming when I go to pt it back in....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This old Ford supporter approves. I have a soft spot for XYs as my uncle had an HO and a replica built out of a GS Fairmont. He restored both of them at the same time, replicating the HOs extra spot welds into the GS. All other parts were OG Ford and not repro.

He did this in the early 90s and sold them about 3 years before his passing about 15 years ago.

Got mega coin for them when he sold the pair. Enough to buy a truck, digger and a house in the backwater town of Te Kopuru just out of Dargaville with a fair amount of change

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

On the hunt for super low front springs to suit 6cyl. 

has anyone had any experience with gas struts (adjustable let it out to lower)? Are they cheap or should I just get the shortened non fancy ones?

I need a set of new struts but the Koni are like $1200

leaves will be getting reset next as I need to remove the 2” block and add a leaf

A841E08E-68AA-484A-919D-E5ACAA209CB7.jpeg

10 hours ago, MaxPower said:

Do you have any measurements for the springs? I have a set of new falcon springs at home but don’t know what model they’re from, they’re blue and quite short. 

Ohhh I don’t sorry. Maybe PM me a few pics as they might have serial numbers on them? Cheers 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi team,

Has anyone fitted this style of rear strut to an old falcon before? Monroe Gas Riser - adjustable height with air (not Mexican low low style).

I was wondering when I reset the rear leaves 4" and fk off the 2" blocks (equating to a 4" drop from standard height) will these be suitable for that low and if so, how much will these be able to raise the rear if I pump them full of air? Understand that the leaves will be the main factor in ride height - more wondering if these can help play around with the height give or take 1" or so.

image.thumb.jpeg.bc6c6b957712f887323b136d467ef2ac.jpeg

• 4 months later...

One of my xy fairmont bucket seats (drivers) has a newer reclining lever and it's proving to really bother me. So much so, that I have bought a mk 1 or 2 ?capri seat back section, as it appears to share the correct lever position and I plan to have this retrofitted to the seat one of these days.

Next missing post new WOF is to reset the rear leaved and get some super low front springs to match my new Koni short shocks. Hopefully this will improve the boat-like handling of this mega craft. To be fair, the 4.1 is boring to me and I crave a NA 351c to make my life more interesting.

I'm also debating whether I save for a new tremec whilst I'm there, as I had a ride in a 347 stroked xy at the Rangioria muscle car madness event and it was manual....and rad.

Anyhoo, I'm chipping away at it and will be on the lookout for a 351c in bits over the coming months.

Cheers

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

Mini update

Super low king springs en route, along with some new amber rear lenses and new chrome interior door lock pulls.

I will replace the front springs and put in the new short Konis - then I can measure the rear and get the leaves reset accordingly.

I am currently working a deal less tyres with this set of super-rare 14X8 SS Cragars now (rears are a hectic as reverse dish).

I may just look to swap the rears for 2 standard 14x8 SS Cragars OR I do have the option of cutting the diff/using an old Mustang 8" diff, as they are shorter.

There is never a dull moment here...

78EBD8D2-D7C3-4D80-AD7E-C0140564C758.jpeg

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...