Help needed with some drive belt magic

Flash

I'm busy experimenting to see how easy it would be to fit a power steering pump to my Toyota 3Y engine using a single drive belt setup.

I've seen Sheepers and others do some magic with drive belts, but this is my first attempt so I'd really appreciate some guidance.

Looking at the trial mock-up pic below I'm guessing that I would need to fit either an idler or a tensioner pulley (or perhaps both) in order to get this setup to work, but I'll need some help in determining what I need and where it needs to be positioned.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

20200908_114733.jpg

• Like 1

I don't like your chances of getting enough wrap on the crank pulley, and if you can the belt life is going to be compromised. Well unless you shifted the power steer to where the dizzy is.. 

I would multi belt that setup with one belt for alt, and water pump and one for the p/s. 

• Like 1

Yep I was originally looking at running the ZF electro pump out of a BMW Mini Cooper, but I'm also intending to fit a 12 volt a/c setup and I figured I'd need to run a huge alternator to deliver the kind of amps to feed both the electric a/c and  power steer pump.

Take a look at MR2 electric power steer pumps.

Regarding problems with alternator supply capacity, depending on how good you are with electrics you could potentially make a switching relay that disables the A/C pump when the power steering is being used.

Or perhaps consider using a yaris electric power steering system (not hydraulic). They just go in the steering column.

I think holden astra had electric pump for power steering too, could be easier to find in australia?

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the options ajg193.

I have given my options quite a bit of thought up to this point.

Unfortunately pure electric power steering isn't an option in my case as the steering column is totally exposed (similar to split windscreen VW Kombis) so anything other than the original column will compromise the spartan interior look that I am trying to retain.

The Holden Astra power steering pump is a popular choice here in OZ and are relatively cheap to buy, but they have a built in reservoir. In my case I need a remote fluid reservoir so older generation MR2s will work, but they are getting harder to find and if you do find one they are pretty spendy as they are a popular choice in racing circles. The BMW Mini Cooper is similar to the MR2 unit in that it has a remote reservoir but again prices are getting up there for a god unit. This manual pump came off one of my donor vans, it's a worker, is matched to my power steering rack and has cost me nothing, so I figured its worth a punt if I can get it set up. If not I'll have to spend large and go for the Mini Cooper unit.

• Like 1

Here's how it is set up on a 3y-e from a hilux

PA01280681_72dd88.jpg

Air con pump is usually mounted on that bracket with the idler. You could probably get away with mounting power steering there.

The main pulley on the front has capacity for three belts, not sure if you have enough depth in engine bay for such a long pulley but I guess you could always cut the front section off.

I can have a look when I get home to check which groove the air con system runs on if you want? I'm pretty sure it is the middle one

Thanks for the pic of the 3YE setup @agj193.

I've just stuck my head under my Thames and I've got heaps of room up front to run a double or triple crank shaft pulley. If I could find a double crankshaft pulley for a 3 or even a 4Y I'd be the happiest camper

That Mercedes unit is similar to the one that Browndog has fitted to his Mk1 Transit. He got it from Pick a Part at a very good price. I sure miss Pick A Part across here. Sadly I can't use that unit because it has the integrated fluid reservoir.

• 3 weeks later...

I would suggest that if you put an idler up high between the two to get the wrap on crank and again the ps pullet it should work Ok. Guess it depends how good you are with making a strong  but slim bracket as it will take alot of load.

I am not much help but I think people aim for around half of each pully to be in contact with the belt. These two pics are of single drive belt engines I have replaced belts on recently. I thought I would add pics of them so you can see how these two engines have done it.

belt 1.jpg

belt 2.png

• Like 1