Duke Blackwood

Yamaha YSR "The Pole Smoker"

This thing was rad at TeUruweraAdv. Great adv bike.

post us up some beauty shots with the full fairings on please!!

I was so amazed/stoked that it made it the whole way  

Also your undercarriage must be made of titanium , the seat did not look comfortable at all  

So I’ve been busy beavering away quietly on the pole smoker... I’ll save the progress report until I have a decent photo, but the shifter shaft is still the most pressing issue. I had to straighten it to remove it and found it was also bent IN the engine itself. I stripped my spare engine only to find it has a huge groove right on the oil seal surface of the shifter shaft. I enquired with a mate about metal spraying it and machining it back but even at mates rates it’s $120 clams... the bike still only owes me like a Hundy. Anyone have a TS185 wrecking? Or know if the mud bug shifters were compatible? Once this is sorted I’ll need to do the seal, reassemble, and get new sprockets. I will make last years sprocket into a medal and wear it with pride.

435FB7D6-BDE8-4D47-B7C1-8B1307009982.jpeg

31D1110D-8817-4D00-80B5-30CEE5AAEEDA.jpeg

5DEC65CC-6BBA-4337-97C2-25CDDD7799E7.jpeg

Dont metal spray it. Just tig it up and have ur mate lathe it smooth and then polish with paper till its shiny. Will still be better than any used shaft. 

• Like 2

Y’reckon? There’s a tig and a lathe in the shed (so I can do that for free) but the yarn was that the heat would corrupt the shaft in that area, so it may become more prone to bending... or snap.

Pick the right filler and then case harden it on the bbq

Or lathe it down and loctite a speedy sleeve thing on it, are those available for shafts?

Im not at all worried about destroying the shaft; it’s fucked. I DONT want it to fail during this years Te Urewera Ride haha. If I was just putting it back on the road I would TIG it but knowing what I’ll be subjecting it too... I don’t want it to be next years week link as well.

Got a press? Could spend an hour or so manipulating your shaft to work the kinks out

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, tortron said:

Pick the right filler and then case harden it on the bbq

Or lathe it down and loctite a speedy sleeve thing on it, are those available for shafts?

Yes,  as small as 12mm