Spanners E36 coupe + 6.0L LS

spanners

1 hour ago, KKtrips said:

As the father, I have the right to know or are we going to be one of those trendy couples that let the kid choose its gender?

Well its going to be named Barry anyway, don't care whether its a boy or a girl.

you’re the trendiest cunt I know. 

Also does your wagon skid? I’ve never seen a skid pic.

I like skids 

EF43C410-E2B4-424E-BAEF-BDEBA9DB4287.png.534b77c62a617be46ed1596515eeefec.png

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Been trying to sort shifter out. Thanks to solidworks I have been able to have a good go at this. The pic below is for brothers one (which sits stick back from gbox a lot further) but mine looks pretty similar. I've designed it to use all the original commodore bushes to save hassle. Fingers crossed for it to not hit things in the car, I cbf modelling the tunnel and gbox. 

image.png.2af6f6f133425fb1db1b6c7f34071a70.png

• Like 3

Trying to find things to do that don't require new bits. Lockdown and all. Thought I'd get stuck into the go pedal. The LS I'm using has an E-throttle, where the bmw setup used the other kind of wires. The BMW one also hinged off the floor (I forget name for this style) but the commodore one is normal. I actually really liked the BMW one and would have kept it and butchered the commy pedal and gutted it, if only it wasn't plastic.

So instead, I pulled up carpet ripped out some fire damaged foam, cleared some space, and in a strange turn of events the BMW firewall is flat where i need to mount. The pedal needed spacing out from firewall quite a lot which meant getting my binky on and making a bracket.

Pretty limited on available supplies so found some galv RHS to cut up and got to work. Tacked up what I thought would work and then did some trial fitting. IMG_3961.thumb.JPG.bb7850f174debf71ebbb9ac0584b6c8a.JPG

Seemed to be ok but was too wide and hit the +ve cable coming from battery (runs along under/beside the pedal) so trimmed it down quite a bit. When I was happy, whipped out the welder and smoked out the garage. 

IMG_3963.thumb.JPG.68b35f57582f078f94674bc9f31f7f24.JPG

De-spatter and a lick of paint and it's not actually too yuck. I put in some speed holes because I didn't want it to look like its made from RHS. I don't have access to dimple kit so they can stay as normal holes. 

IMG_3968.thumb.JPG.a461f90b24a4e498eb4d9dc7383f28af.JPG

IMG_3966.thumb.JPG.149a15d4311aa340247b41b395867ff6.JPG

Needs to move over a bit but I'm just hanging it off an old hole in the firewall for photo shoot. That hole happens to be the old throttle cable hole, which makes it feel right! Will probably weld a threaded plate onto firewall for lower bolts, and just have captive nuts for the upper ones. I think lower holes disappear into a cavity somewhere. 

IMG_3970.thumb.JPG.40f1c5accfabdb701e89c7c991dc3ce1.JPG

Added bonus is that the OG throttle stop/button thing is in roughly the right place, so that can be the NOS switch one day...

• Like 8

Oh my Lordy. Made some plates with the intention of plug welding them to the firewall. 2EE47AC0-A233-471C-8B83-8645CF635C3D.thumb.jpeg.5a9a14fb2d28339f1a5fb147437a2570.jpeg

Got stuck in to the welding which was quite fiddly under the dash. Was smoking a bit and got to the point where the smoke was a bit worrying, so hunted round to find source and sure enough, fire! Couldn’t find it but could see orange glow. Went into full panic mode and ripped inner guard liner off to find the fire on foam attached to back of firewall. Put it out but I think it took a few years off my life. 

Anyway bolted pedal up and it’s not in a great position. When you hit brake pedal the side of your shoe catches the throttle. Will be great for heel/toe but maybe also bad for doing an Audi5000 and jamming on the throttle while panic braking. I think moving the go pedal back toward firewall and across to the right a little bit might fix it, but I’ll do a test drive before I make changes.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, westy said:

Later e46 had e-throttle that I think slots straight into floor mount. Dunno if it runs the throttle body though. 
Anyway... it’s fucking awesome. Love it. Carry on. 

Well fuck haha. 

i think in the long run that running the GM unit will be easier for tuning and I suspect this layout will be better for heel/toe but I just need to find tune placement.

Im quite disappointed I didn’t think about e46 throttle tho 

On 25/03/2020 at 12:28, spanners said:

Been keeping busy while under the weather with the Coronavirus

Finally my summit order showed up. I’m a bit embarrassed that I didn’t realise Japrace in Chch sells the AN fittings for pretty much the same price. Won’t be shopping American again, especially with the exchange rate as it is. Had to go into japrace to do my panic shopping. Got a fuel pressure gauge and some hose and fittings. 

Fuel line looks pretty tidy now. It’s -8 between the rails but only -6 from the pump. Just trying to save on fittings, the rails were -8 female.

0E955DDF-3370-4136-8116-46357AF92DB4.thumb.jpeg.6b9f8060fc04f6c62bf455ad255d1e99.jpeg

for anyone doing an engine swap (with EFI) the Corvette FPR/filter is a great little number! Mine fits in place of original massive filter under the bmw. Cheap too. Saves running a return from the rails. 

99E8F039-0251-46A4-8385-ACD4D9117F23.thumb.jpeg.b6dcfca8dc2c05f5a88d0c5d8bf65510.jpeg

Started pulling bmw loom apart to see what I can biff. I want to retain a few sensors I think, so that dash works normally. Shouldn’t actually be too much of a mare. Will get commodore loom modified by someone way more special than me. 

CE772D8C-1006-46D0-9C37-14626194E5AB.thumb.jpeg.183a679faf957c1b9770d9d9b08462b8.jpeg

Stocked up on piss for the apocalypse. I got fucking smashed last night on red wine and working from home today is not great. 
36BB203D-9C9A-4D5D-8F30-7235B7C3F6AB.thumb.jpeg.589ca5466233338adf43a1d681901601.jpeg

I reckon this lockdown is going to be one of the best things ever for productivity on oldschool. Will certainly be helpful for me. Sadly I’m still working full time (we build/fix hydro power stations) but I’m sure I’ll manage to sneak out to the garage every now and then!

Stay safe out there cunts!

@spanners BMW wiring is so fun isin't it haha, iv got to  do  an e30 with an m54 swap soon,  back to the topic of LS tho,  Im assuming your using the factory LS ecu to run it, give me a shout if you want to get your ls loom sorted to  standalone and ecu setup, its what I do as a sparetime job. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, spanners said:

Well fuck haha. 

i think in the long run that running the GM unit will be easier for tuning and I suspect this layout will be better for heel/toe but I just need to find tune placement.

Im quite disappointed I didn’t think about e46 throttle tho 

Meh. At least you know the two are compatible. 

Also, I find the BMW wiring pretty straightforward once you’ve got a grip on it. 

• 2 months later...