Jump to content

ThePog builds a Dynafari - so many usage updates


Recommended Posts

This guy is 1 dollar reserve some turbo bits, you may be able to convince him just to send you the dump pipe (if it looks like the orientation would work) and throw the rest in a skip bin? 

 

https://trademe.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/performance/turbos/listing/2370461270

 

Also it would pay to check the the core is lined up with the front cover and exhaust housing (there are small dowels which can be removed) . This is important if you want to use a factory waste gate actuator - which is what i was looking for on Trademe.. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, mjrstar said:

This guy is 1 dollar reserve some turbo bits, you may be able to convince him just to send you the dump pipe (if it looks like the orientation would work) and throw the rest in a skip bin? 

 

https://trademe.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/performance/turbos/listing/2370461270

 

Also it would pay to check the the core is lined up with the front cover and exhaust housing (there are small dowels which can be removed) . This is important if you want to use a factory waste gate actuator - which is what i was looking for on Trademe.. 

Yes I was looking for a dump pipe just now, I can always fabricate one if I get stuck, but that would definitely be easier.

The assembled turbos layout worked pretty well for routing, I guessed it was the factory setup but will check when I chuck the rebuild kit in.

I guess I had better start looking for actuators as well ..

Link to post
Share on other sites

I like your work. Making good progress

 

Aliexpress has a range of silicone joiners which are reasonably priced and the quality seems ok, havnt put any pressure in them yet though 

 

Have you got enough 'downhill' from the turbo for it to drain into the sump?

Especially if you end up on a big uphill incline

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, cletus said:

I like your work. Making good progress

 

Aliexpress has a range of silicone joiners which are reasonably priced and the quality seems ok, havnt put any pressure in them yet though 

 

Have you got enough 'downhill' from the turbo for it to drain into the sump?

Especially if you end up on a big uphill incline

Cheers, hopefully cert man likes it too.

I have something like a 150mm drop, but it is about a 500mm run and it didn't even occur to me that might park on a hill, I may need to check the angles.. good call.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, yoeddynz said:

or pretend its british and go for a total loss system....

This system will require me to find an imp to tow behind it all the time so I can blame it on that.

I had a proper look during today's activities, there is only about 50mm max drop, definitely going to need a pump.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Making plenty more progress, but this bit feels like a bit of a grind for some reason. Probably cos I keep not quite finishing things because I need something, then getting halfway through something else before stopping cos I need something, then bits turning up so I carry on with the other.... and so on seemingly endlessly.

Whatever you whining prick.

This is what did get done, finished or not..

An exhaust. The tip is not 100%, I need to get the deck back on to finish this nice and tidy.

pcr6dzv.jpg

TNlUYLn.jpg

 

Added an EGT sensor to the stumpy adaptor thingy so I know exactly when I am about to detonate the engine;

VcMwe3a.jpg

 

Oil feed line to the turbly, probably needs a heat shield going past the manifold;

H3X0N6X.jpg

 

Oil drain pipe from the turbly to the sump. This might get tidied a bit as it gets kindof close to the boost actuator rod;

Wo0pW2G.jpg

 

I also got given a boost actuator, some amateur sleuthing involving a tyre pump gauge and compressor tells me it is cracking the seal at about 15psi.

I mounted this and discovered my bracket would hit the chassis, so I had to remake the bracket. It's all sorted but I forgot to take pics, maybe later you will be able to admire the simple elegance of this.

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, ThePog said:

 

I also got given a boost actuator, some amateur sleuthing involving a tyre pump gauge and compressor tells me it is cracking the seal at about 15psi.

 

I did the same thing setting up an external gate and when it was put back on the car, it made a lot less boost than bench testing suggested

I had not accounted for exhaust pressure pushing on the valve trying to open the gate 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, cletus said:

I did the same thing setting up an external gate and when it was put back on the car, it made a lot less boost than bench testing suggested

I had not accounted for exhaust pressure pushing on the valve trying to open the gate 

I'm not super worried, it was more to confirm it worked and was roughly what the dude said it was, plus that I could get it into a good place. I think I will invest in something that I can change the springs in later. It was one of those things I didn't have that was stopping progress, but it's sorted for now.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • ThePog changed the title to ThePog builds a Dynafari - so many usage updates

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...