Dave's new Daily with all the Bees and Weasels

Muncie

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

These things are the European equivalent of a Corolla for reliability like anything though neglected eventually you'll get gremlins. Which I'm working on at the moment 1 at a time easy fixes.

Americans love them so rockauto and summit list everything available for them (so cheap)and info online is pretty abundant.

My last turbo car was a Z32 300zx 15 years ago so these are light years ahead getting my brain up to speed with how they work....... then can stop doing dumb shit and get into the making it faster.  Its fast as fuck already to keep me motivated.

Rummaging around the plumbing today decided to clean the N75 valve which regulates boost as I popped off hoses and wiring became obvious it was installed wrong. Cleaned it fitted it again properly the right way round the weird boost surging has settled down. 

Going to get the battery tested. My Range Rover had all manner of electrical gremlins when I had it but a new battery they all went and didn't come back, the old battery showed no signs of being dodgy it started the car fine but when all the gizmos fired up pre start voltage got a bit low and would throw up various fault codes.

Sucker for punishment......

9 hours ago, MichaelJFox said:

I'm a big VW guy, but it seems that MK4s looove to fall apart on people. 

I would concur I had one that was relatively low ks spent massive amounts of money on it keeping it on the road did drive nice tho when it was all going well,

8 hours ago, Muncie said:

Rummaging around the plumbing today decided to clean the N75 valve which regulates boost as I popped off hoses and wiring became obvious it was installed wrong. Cleaned it fitted it again properly the right way round the weird boost surging has settled down. 

Going to get the battery tested. My Range Rover had all manner of electrical gremlins when I had it but a new battery they all went and didn't come back, the old battery showed no signs of being dodgy it started the car fine but when all the gizmos fired up pre start voltage got a bit low and would throw up various fault codes.

Sucker for punishment......

The GFB DV are supposed to be plumbed in backwards to the standard valve it says so in the instructions.

1 hour ago, jakesae101 said:

The GFB DV are supposed to be plumbed in backwards to the standard valve it says so in the instructions.

The GFB has been Teed into the fuel pressure regulator line which is supposed to be a big No-No too Is it ass about face in my engine bay shot? just read this and got on GFB's website to read the install notes in bed now Saturdays job now.

The solenoid for the factory boost control was installed so wrong.....the port that bleeds off pressure into the intake was connected to the intercooler pipe.

Ordered some silicone 4mm hose will tidy it all up as everything has been hose clamped to death the vacuum tank thing is gone and there is 2 random stainless steel pipes staring at me, need to find out what those are for and hook them back up if they're important. A Barry has mucked around with thing. Literally the dude was 80 and owned it since it came into the country.

6 hours ago, 00quattro00 said:

Id get a new oem 710n and n75 valve, new correct spark plugs, check for boost leaks and clean the throttle body and do a throttle body alignment 

Have a N75 on the way went to take the throttle body off yesterday have honestly never seen a piece of equipment so clean inside so I left it alone checked the charge pipe wasn't cut by the hose clamp called it a day. Went for a hoon so damn quick! Definitely has good things going on I haven't found yet. 

Whatever is wrong is electrical which can be fixed so I'm not to hating this car I'm learning things so that's a positive. Need to get a VAGScan lead and software and dive in a bit deeper to find out what's playing up.

• 2 weeks later...

Paid a mate of my old man's a box of beer to tutu with the old Golf before I sell it. It's now happy as and averaged(7.87l/100) 12.7 km per litre on the dash over around 900ks of Huntly to Auckland commuting. The best it's ever managed. Time to move it on.

• Like 1

Got this golf cart up on ramps today so I could get a better look at the front left inner CV to order a replacement off Rockauto. Which led to poking around whoah this isn't a stock intercooler its as thick as my leg! and the turbo is also shiny and fresh looking. Explains the ability to blaze tyres 1st to 3rd with the traction control off.....

15257414254636129335059086946745.jpg

• Like 1

I was starting to feel a bit down about buying this car with the few gremlins it's got now that I've mostly ironed those out and diagnosed anything else I'm starting to get excited again.

Cant wait to do a run down the strip once its fully on song, new parts are cheap so wont be to long.

Oh my God selling stuff these days got me going mad I can handle a lowball offer but when people try persistently offering  1/3 of asking price..... have this one guy who has called 6 times maintained my composure and told him to look at cars that are $1000 not $3000 hes yet to see the car too.

Anyway Rockauto have cleaned out my piggy bank. Weird electronic hiccups have stopped so will replace map manifold temp water crank angle sensors in my next shopping spree boost solenoid is already on it's way.

Screenshot_20180510-083525_Chrome.jpg

Im committed now reliable car sold I've got tomorrow off and and a boot full of new parts, opted to not fuck around with a CV joint fix and bought a whole brand new replacement half shaft. Hopefully this is the no grease muckaround avoidance choice I envisioned also replacing my engine bay fuse box as the old one isn't in amazing nick. 

Cue halfshaft through windshield photo around 1pm tomorrow....

• Like 1

Did an easy job this morning the fuse box.

Lots of lovely electrical joint corrosion inhibitor shes a good un. Flicked the key the dash seems brighter and the interior light works when I open the driver's door instant small win.

Old fuse box corrosion everywhere and a melted cooling fan fuse good to tick that off as done.

20180517_075150.jpg

20180517_080729.jpg