~Slideways~

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Best update yet: Sun roof installed, it's a simple lift up type so I plan to try make a fibreglass or carbonfibre mould of the glass to reduce weight. 

The glass is pretty heavy but I just put it back in for now so I can get it going and ready for certification, still heaps more to do before then.

Phwoooarrr....sunroof, being all...sun roofy.IMG_4789.jpg.5317d6adf1eadd8cb1b97868a3b18471.jpgIMG_4791.jpg.c55bdfae614b254262f440bad3659eef.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Wet sanded and polished the front drivers side guard, came out nice. 

Fitted rear lights, I decided to try some aftermarket lights that came on the 180sx I imported.

They are type x 'style' LED things, I don't really like them (they look OK... I hate aftermarket lights though)... but I'll leave them on until I get some genuine ones since I do have the genuine Type X centre and lower panel (I haven't painted this yet).

Alternatively I could use some non-type x ones with the different centre and lower panel, I had intended to use those on the other project 200sx.

IMG_5034.jpg.4eb43b09a51c05b9648b9e1e1c49ecf4.jpgIMG_5032.jpg.1b2ca82ebbb840efb90049ca93a425ce.jpgIMG_5029.jpg.83e6582d9d04b0cd98a8dd1d082e912b.jpgIMG_5028.jpg.59542a98f899b6b5f6d9a6bf65a95fa6.jpg

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Cut and polished the passenger door, guard and front bumper.

Fitted door and window trim.

Decided to fit some adjustable caster arms that I got with the imported 180sx. They look like good quality Japanese stuff but with out a brand on them I don't know if I can certify them. There is some Japanese writing but I think this is just a part number for the one part.

Fitted them so I could add some caster to add some clearance to the rear of the wheel arch at full lock.

They have a extra support arm which mounts to a subframe bolt, which is a nice design to stop flex.

The one I had on it have an offset urethane bush.

IMG_5164.jpg.cd5529b306ad9763cac4b593b738a6b8.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

This looks great! 

Be cautious making fairly major changes with the SAFC because you are adjusting the ECUs load axis for both fuel and ignition timing. 

As in, ECU thinks there is much less air coming in so it adds ignition timing as well as pulling out fuel. So you will be much closer to knock threshold than a factory engine.

Also those tail lights look pretty good for aftermarket ones. Not too gaudy like most seem to be.

1 hour ago, Roman said:

This looks great! 

Be cautious making fairly major changes with the SAFC because you are adjusting the ECUs load axis for both fuel and ignition timing. 

As in, ECU thinks there is much less air coming in so it adds ignition timing as well as pulling out fuel. So you will be much closer to knock threshold than a factory engine.

Also those tail lights look pretty good for aftermarket ones. Not too gaudy like most seem to be.

Thanks! The tail lights aren't too bad. I still want some genuine type-x ones though (the very late ones are LED too which is cool).

Yeah I am cautious of this, I didn't want to make too big of a change. This is a stop gap to get some seat time and then later I'll go with a Link capable of tuning the Vvti, just a car budget thing.

I'm basing this on my old JZX100 Chaser which was actually my wife's car (EDIT: it was an auto..shift kitted but still auto), so I'd left it stock except the exhaust. It made 170kw atw on stock boost of 10psi (rapidly dropping off to 6psi) and was very rich (in the mid 10's) at full throttle like most JZ's seem to be. The stock injectors and turbo seem to handle about 210-220kw in a manual one.

Maybe I'll get around 240kw with the bigger turbo and gobs of torque?

In the end with cam's and an ECU I'd hope for around 350kw on 98, but that's a few years off. If I go with E85 and supporting jobbies, maybe a million? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roman said:

I remember seeing a guy on youtube do something similar with a non-vvti 1jzgte and SAFC II, I don't think he understood the percentages. I'm pretty sure he thought if you run a 50% bigger injector you have to set the SAFC to 50% too and wondered why it ran badly.

Haha classic. 

SAFC was such a staple of tuning in the early 2000s haha. 

Yeah Type X lights would be sweet of course.

E85 definitely seems to be way to go for a sweeeet power bump with minimal effort. 

All this 1JZ talk is getting me interested in doing some more work on the Z10 one day haha.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Roman said:

Haha classic. 

SAFC was such a staple of tuning in the early 2000s haha. 

Yeah Type X lights would be sweet of course, but those are decent too.

E85 definitely seems to be way to go for a sweeeet power bump with minimal effort. 

All this 1JZ talk is getting me interested in doing some more work on the Z10 one day haha.

Z10?...ZeDtEnNN? Interested!  

There's two Z20's up the road from me. Cool cars.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I still had the SR20 engine mount which probably aren't up to the task, definitely a bit soft anyway.

So I got some like these, random google image because I didn't take any photos:

mounts.jpg.597e70a4dda6c347f9cbf2641ea25dcf.jpg

They come with 4 washers each so you can adjust the height. It took 4 tries to get it perfect but its good now.

Passenger side is easy to get to and lift the engine enough to get the old mount out.

Drivers side was a bit cunty.

- Had to disconnect the exhaust at the bottom of the downpipe to stop it hitting the floor when lifting the engine.

- Then found I had to remove the clutch master to get enough clearance for the 3.5" downpipe to move up enough with the engine (much easier than removing the downpipe).

- Actual access to the mount was ok, my design of the exh manifold and wastegate pipe leaves enough room.

I had to try with and without the washers because there was a bit of compression in the mount when bolted down and the space between the front of the sump and the sway bar is very close. But it's good now, just annoying to redo it multiple times.

I was never too happy with the distance between the downpipe and the clutch master, I've found now that an S14 clutch master should fit and is much shorter. So have ordered one now.

Also ordered heat shielding stuff still to arrive.

And another Motobatt AGM jobbie since the old one died, I was going to look at lithium but I found this one for a good price. Just have to remember to isolate it.

No photo's, I'll take some later so its not just a bunch of boring words.

Fitted the front lip and bumper end jobby things:

IMG_7185.jpg.7b2b78a69bf8ca253df3c39608bdbed3.jpgIMG_7190.jpg.9e5959c4b378ec55a9aa6363319605d4.jpg

Short S14 style clutch master cylinder will give me good clearance to the down pipe compared to the original one:

IMG_7181.jpg.2766b55e7db7bab3fc59f5772b9d623c.jpg

Passenger mount installed (yes that shield is lime green, it was like that when I got it as a rolling body):

IMG_7184.jpg.e6e8907ff99a069d2bad71cb24eca7dd.jpg

Drivers side mount, because you need two:

IMG_7189.jpg.9629eb41ebceb867b34efa8985fe222c.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HighLUX said:

FYI those mounts will not pass cert as having 1 bolt from chassis to engine classes them as solid mounted

Well that sucks if that is the case...

EDIT: I'm reading an LVVTA doc now and can't see a problem yet (I'll change them if I have to though). Do you mean its an issue because the bolt goes all the way through? 

Wouldn't it come under this:

2.2(3) An engine mount fitted to a low volume vehicle must be designed and constructed in such a way that upon failure of either one or both of the engine mounts, the engine weight could not cause the steering system to become jammed or affected by engine weight, which may include either:

(a) an engine mount chassis or sub-frame bracket designed to prevent the engine from dropping; or

(b) a safety-type engine mount that features a through-bolt that prevents detachment of the mount upon separation of the rubber from the backing plate; or

I mean it is what it is so if they won't pass then.... balls.... but the doc also talks about where 'solid mounted' it basically just needs to be strong enough.