Gav's 200sx RPS13 1JZGTE of race car.

~Slideways~

Also this link to the lvvta forum from a week ago seems to say they should pass:

http://lvvta.proboards.com/thread/521/solid-engine-mounts

And compared to the factory mounts, they are single bolt top and bottom separated by rubber, I'm not sure if they can actually split/pull apart but having a through bolt makes more sense. There is a crush tube in there with some space on each end for flex.

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The contradictory part is i know of a few people who have been knocked back on them, to then see someone say its fine leaves a grey area.

Grey areas are annoying when your stuff gets pinged as been not up to scratch especially when you go to as much trouble as you have to get them in.

1 minute ago, Muncie said:

The contradictory part is i know of a few people who have been knocked back on them, to then see someone say its fine leaves a grey area.

Grey areas are annoying when your stuff gets pinged as been not up to scratch especially when you go to as much trouble as you have to get them in.

I totally agree, it seems it's down to the certifiers opinion. So I guess I'll see.

I've been through 3 different certs but never with a mount like this so I will leave them in and see what they say.

16 minutes ago, Beaver said:

Perfect example of asking the certifier you will be using what they will be happy with rather than just relying on what the internet says and then getting butt hurt when you get turned down.

With all of the work I've done to the car, these mounts were the last thing I thought I'd need an OK on, my bottom is quite comfortable, in the scheme of things its an easy fix if needed. As soon as it was pointed out they might be a problem I started looking into it.

I know how difficult cert's can be I've used one of the more 'difficult' guys in my area twice now (about 10 years apart with totally different kinds of vehicle) and I fixed what needed fixing and was on my way.

36 minutes ago, SiRge said:

Had had words that the hardrace s13 engine mounts with the matching transmission mount is like $310 shipped, supposedly in stock in NZ

That's not too bad, I already have a fancy gearbox mount but its an option if needed.

I only just got back into working on my projects again and had a long list of stuff to get done with a vague idea of maybe getting it to a state that I could trailer it to a track day in September for some testing. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ~Slideways~ said:

With all of the work I've done to the car, these mounts were the last thing I thought I'd need an OK on, my bottom is quite comfortable, in the scheme of things its an easy fix if needed. As soon as it was pointed out they might be a problem I started looking into it.

I know how difficult cert's can be I've used one of the more 'difficult' guys in my area twice now (about 10 years apart with totally different kinds of vehicle) and I fixed what needed fixing and was on my way.

Sorry wasn’t really aimed at you, you’re taking a very reasonable approach and are to be commended!

was more of just a general comment about people making choices based on what some random person said, when the final answer comes down to the certifier.

i also thought this was the cert thread lol so apologies for spamming up your project

19 minutes ago, Beaver said:

Sorry wasn’t really aimed at you, you’re taking a very reasonable approach and are to be commended!

was more of just a general comment about people making choices based on what some random person said, when the final answer comes down to the certifier.

i also thought this was the cert thread lol so apologies for spamming up your project

No worries it's not really spam when talking about the topic. Plus this car isn't old school enough to have it's own discussion thread anyway :-) 

Not very exciting jobs completed but needed to be done/

Installed new Motobatt AGM battery, used the tray and bracket I made for one of my old cars:

IMG_7258.jpg.c3baf43cd2f85fcfa29d2dc935840cd4.jpg

Also added some p-clips every 25cm on the cable. I vaguely remember there being a requirement for every 30cm but couldn't find it again...so 25cm it is.

Floor is dusty from sanding etc.

IMG_7261.jpg.fd6b6495a190398cd1640223fbfa73f2.jpg

Installed short clutch master, bled it etc. There is a bit of play in the pedal before it moves the rod so need to adjust that. 

Much better clearance off the downpipe now:

IMG_7257.jpg.f70cb3e0437e83d68119c7054b912982.jpg

On 03/08/2018 at 15:15, ~Slideways~ said:

I only just got back into working on my projects again and had a long list of stuff to get done with a vague idea of maybe getting it to a state that I could trailer it to a track day in September for some testing. 

Which what when? If you go then I must go too.

Wasn't happy with the location of the hose inlet on one of the wastegates being too close to the turbo exhaust housing and only the top outlet ones can be moved.

Ideally I'd take the manifold off and redo wastegate position but thats a shit load of work. If I have another reason to take the lot off later I will redo that bit.

I couldn't find a 90deg barb option so I took the wastegate to bits to see if I could spin the bottom part of the housing.

Turns out it's a symmetrical set of three bolts so it could be turned for a better position so, cool one less thing to sort out. It's much better but not ideal because it puts the hose barb above the wastegate outlet, way less heat but I'll still put in a bit of shielding.

IMG_7345.jpg.179d91a741102ffa659984b85221d01b.jpgIMG_7346.jpg.2ebd94634b8e5a8684c15f5fc926be6e.jpgIMG_7347.jpg.29cff7b71a51e4753df62f3cc2be84d3.jpg

15 minutes ago, mjrstar said:

Consider using a banjo fitting or better still fit hardlines for wastegate plumbing? 

Yep that was the plan until all local suppliers in the area were all like *sharp-intake-of-breath-through-teeth* "sorry mate nothing like that", the thread and size isn't common.

Plus there is an over hang over the female thread too so it would need a spacer.

Next option was drilling and tapping it but the over hang makes it hard and there isn't much alloy there to go much bigger.

Then I took it apart and semi solved the problem.

Stainless steel banjo's are stupid expensive too!

Quick couple of jobs over the weekend.

Cut and filed holes to fit these guard indicators, they were off a Primera at Pick a Part:

IMG_7364.jpg.a03ecbb308440202efd0e46a007f12a0.jpg

Wheels are a bit too wide on the front, not sure what I'm going to do here re: cert. I really want a set of 17x9.5 +18 RPF1's but they cost money.

IMG_7448.jpg.563f6cb047d6d4840a6c2decbe9ba845.jpg

Cleaned the dust off it, was going to test drive and lost the clutch pedal. Looks to have a leak. Yay. Might need a new line.

IMG_7442.jpg.21a97f98623d3d6f085b46aa1f2ab01c.jpg

Attached the Apexi SAFC II to the dash.

The dash looks like crap because it go dusty from bath room renovations, wiped it down and it dried looking terrible... will try some leather cleaning stuff I have somewhere.

IMG_7449.jpg.d2d70931ee8b073a1abbbc59d8bdce85.jpg

Have ordered:

- Type-x bumper lights, after market ones that combine the position and indicators into one.

- Spark Plugs, one heat range colder than stock.

- Driveshaft loops, universals ones that I'll modify to fit.

Might still need to order:

- Dakota Digital speed correction once I test out the nissan speedo with R154 sensor.

- A million things more.

On 8/6/2018 at 10:47, Adoom said:

Which what when? If you go then I must go too.

Looks like work will mean I can't get to this track day, plus its asking for trouble not having any opportunity to test it before going on the track.

So I've decided to concentrate on getting it certified and on the road, that way I can find any issues and get the SAFC tuned on some private roads. Then find out how the clutch handles what ever power it makes etc etc. 

Edited by ~Slideways~
Learning how fingers operate.
  • Like 1