Mitsi Hydraulic Rocker/Lifter cleaning?

Raizer

Went to set the tappets on my Green Turd Delica, turns out while it has tappet noise it doesn't have tappets lol

UwbZwOZ.jpg

Whats the go with these hydraulic rockers/lifters, can I just whip them off and clean them etc or is it a case of dumping in some MBL8 and trying to ignore the noise?

Looking at the rest of the valve gear I'd imagine there pretty gunked up with oil varnish etc.

Planning on changing the valve stem seals and all the timing gear soon so figured I'd ask before I go to pull the cam and have the lifters fall apart or something stupid.

Oh and while I'm asking dumb questions, the small valve on the inlet is that a jet valve or are they something to do with EGR?

MBL8 is a-mazing. Works every time 95% of the time. (do it in conjunction with an oil and filter change)

However if you are pulling it all apart it can be smart to replace the lifters (they slip into the rocker arm tips)

• Like 2

If they are similar to the twin cam lifters than read on...

The lifters are generally not worn. Take them out, submerge in a small dish of petrol and bleed them down using a fine piece of welding wire /piperclip.

It will squirt out some black gunk.

Pump them up and bleed them a few times, then do a final pump up submerged in your engine oil of choice. If any don't hold pressure they may need to be replaced.

• Like 1

I'm a big fan of MBL-8 already, used to use it in my Subaru, amazing stuff!

Ended up doing a bit of reading/YouTubing about them last night, and yeah seems there more or less the same as the DOHC ones, going to give them a good clean and go from there.

$2.12us each on Rock Auto for new ones lol

• Like 3

Plan at the moment is next weekend I'll pull the rockers etc off and soak in diesel + clean/pump up the lash adjusters.

Clean the front of the engine, change cam/crank seals, cam belt (worth deleting the balance shaft belt etc?).

New timing belt/s, tensioner, idlers, valve stem seals etc.

Refit cam, rockers, lash adjusters.

Find it still leaks and smokes.

MBL-8.

Cry.

I'd use kero over petrol. But I'm picky and don't like open containers of highly flammable stuff in my face.

Could runa service worth of diesel oil, had more detergents. But if it don't phase you to take it apart that's the best option.

The blokes on a merica forum I freqwnt swear and declare that running an engine with a little atf in the crankcase cleans Shit to the days. And their motors seem to get caked up to Fuck on account of doing such large distances.

And I agree with Hemi. Petrol Is Pretty unhealthy Shit. Even with kero wear rubber gloves

My skin on my hands Is raped from touching dirty things, and washing them too much.

Atf is amazing for everything. I use it in all air cylinders also with grease,only a little bit but it mists with normal use and spreads itself over the bore continuously. Got a sticking air cylinder? Jam that down the hatch.

Would trust it way more then kero based engine cleaners.

Going by the leaks and the fact I had to scrap an inch of shit off to even find the oil filter when I brought the van, I'm guessing the old owners never changed the oil, just ran it as a total loss oil system.

Thankfully the ends of the valve stems look to be A-OK.

Lol was going to say lacrosse balls might be a bit big to fit in the ends of the rockers ;)

I totally get what you mean, dunno how people can have so little mechanical sympathy.

I'm not always perfect when it comes to servicing on time, but fuck how can you let an engine suffer as bad as this for obviously a rather long time.

Yeah. Wrong thread hah.

Worst I've had is a hilux of a farm come in for a service and the oil was like tar,and I mean tar. Had to drain. Pour in a cup of kero,sit for a day,start for a minute. Stop and repeat x4.boss should have just said it was koozered.

Have a similar story, forestry company owned Navara that the driver was supposed to be in charge of having it serviced.
50,000k past service, decent oil leak and the oil was being topped up with whatever was on hand at the time.
Somehow managed to be clogged up with thick gunge while still having super thin stinky "oil" to drain out.

Not automotive, but here's three words that combine to make a disgusting part wearing mess: cooking oil shotgun.