Buying Supremes

The Bronze

Was looking at these on the Tard and doing a little home work, which lead me to this - LVVTA doco on Supremes and quality, which varies apparently.

So, if I go inspect them before paying to confirm quality/construction I should be able to tell the difference and avoid the shite ones?

Is the seller under any obligation to ensure/prove they meet roadworthy standards? 

Or just don't do it?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just see what brand they are. The only ones you want are allied wheel and U.S. Wheel (I think there's another brand thats OK but I'm lazy to check), they have the proper gusset thing. Still not a perfect design and you have to keep a eye on them but stick to those.

Your LVVTA link is broken - maybe the quotes in the name caused an issue?

http://www.lvvta.org.nz/documents/infosheets/LVVTA_Info_01-2011_'Supreme'-_brand_aftermarket_wheels.pdf

If they look like this pic, don't buy them. I still that set stacked outside my office. Went with the aluminium Radir wheels to avoid the issue.

p1030729.jpg

Yeah Supremes are second choice after Radirs, but did a goggle fuckfest and found some Cragars that look reasonable similar with my old friends Summit...

http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/crr-500p571242/overview/

They did have one that was a tri-rib knockoff but no longer available.

Those are a good price.

/pre-post edit. Google image search shows them on a few things and they aren't so fly.

/post-post edit: and then this. http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-CbR6G4yELDI/TrnjV7hDgfI/AAAAAAAABf0/3yZ41wwPsNM/s1600/A2.JPG

i had a look around as wanted a set too a while ago but could never really get straight info anywhere to be sure that there were legit ones.

The OG Wire Wheels guy imported some last year and he got told to pull them off trademe by LVVTA or NZTA and had to say they werent legal and only suitable for show cars.

Decided to not take the risk for the amount of money iv spent last thing i want is a rim walking off from the spokes and smoking my rear quarter out or someting.

I have a set on the wall in the shed which have knarly cracks through the back of them. 

• Like 1

its because we like to discuss things dude, everyone knows buying the best version of something you can find on the internet is generally the best option these days, so it almost adds nothing to the discussion.

most of our threads can be locked with 'pay the cost to be the boss'

• Like 2