Running in BMC A series

estate_

Hi all

I have recently picked up a 62 Morris Minor, with a knackered engine. In the process of looking at rebuilding the engine I came accross a rebuilt engine that had been sitting around for a couple of years for cheap so went with that option. When I got the engine I lubed the bores through the plugs with oil, pulled the sump to have a look and all seemed great, the seller mentioned the engine had been rebuilt, no expense spared, and balanced(!) by the person he bought the engine off. The crank showed fresh grind marks on the counter weights and the cam still had grey assembly lube on it, the pistons were brand new and the bores showing fresh hone marks. All pointing towards a proper rebuild.

I have put this engine in, tidied it up, prelubed it etc, and it runs well, good oil pressure and runs nicely. However it is a a bit smokey and breathing. I wasnt immediately concerned, there is a mixture of white smoke and water, along with slightly blue smoke, so one would assume the rings are still seating, and there is plenty of condensation and maybe old oil in the exhaust etc. The engine has had a good few runs now though, and approx 75km of varied around town driving, changing rpm load etc constantly, and it still seems smokey and throws a bit of oil out of the crankcase breather on the side.

What I am interested to hear is what you lot have done for similar engines in terms of running in, how long is too long to be smokey? I am running a 15-40 penrite non friction modified running in oil, which may be a part of it as it is probably a bit thin for this engine but was the only running in oil I found at the time. I am also running fresh 95 octane with a hint of valve master lead substitute. Thoughts?

I would imagine I just need to change the oil and give it a bit more of a thrashing and it should hopefully clear up, but am eager to hear your opinions as I don't wish to glaze the bores or anything silly and have to pull it all apart and out new rings in.

The engine is a 948cc A series.

Thanks

I've always run running in oil for 1000km, usually do the first change at 100km and then continue givingnut the beans from there on in.

Yeah most happens in the first stint but nothing wrong with carrying it on to make sure the rings are as bedded as they can be.

The morris minor owners manual says

For the first 800 miles oil leaks are to be expected

(And forever ever after)

Varied driving. Do not strain or allow the engine to lug

After 2000miles you may remove the head and decoke the pistons and cylinder chamber. This is a basic job and the average motorist may attempt it himself

75km is nothing, it should blow smoke for the first year of ownership

• Like 4

Thanks for all the responses. I figured I would have a quick look over the engine and do a compression test pre-thrash so I have a benchmark and can ensure nothing ridiculous is happening. Now the plot thickens. Pulling the rocker cover and plugs shows there is oil everywhere, and far too much of it, the plugs are looking pretty oily and shitty, the area around the plugs too, the rocker cover was fill of oil along the non pushrod side(also worth noting it is parked on a sideways slant keeping oil by the valves - not good!)

The bores all seem wet with oil and compressions came back too high - 200psi, must be because they are wet? Maybe worth drying bores and retesting?

However what has got me a little confused is the heads between the two engines, google is a little confusing with the valve stem seals or lack thereof that these engines are meant to have? Looking at the head on the rebuilt engine it is running double valve springs, and there is a large portion of valve stem exposed when the valve is closed(maybe 12mm) however looking at the old engine it is single spring, and very little exposed(sub 6mm). Interesting, the twin valve springs are presumably a performance upgrade as my Haynes manual shows single springs only. But the shorter distance I am not sure on, almost seems as if it is missing valve stem seals or something silly. Bit hard to tell what is going on under the twin springs.

That's the issue, no idea. The person who I bought the engine off bought it off someone else before him who did the work, I have no record of the actual work done, nor does the person who sold it to me. For all I know they could have put higher compression pistons in etc, as the pistons are brand new, but I've only seen them from the sump end.

Seems like it is a bigger problem then perhaps? As the excess oil in the bores is going to prevent the rings bedding in properly if they haven't already, but this excess oil burning surely has a bigger cause than just the rings not bedding in properly? Also hard to know what is done already, as the pistons are looking pretty black and presumably the whole chamber is carbon covered. Should I still be looking at thrashing it to see if it clears up or investigating further before running it again?