Starter motor rebuilds

Chris.QCR

Have you opened it up to see if the problem is something obvious? When I took the non working starter motor off my tractor and turned it upside down rusty water came out and I thought it was buggered. When I took it apart I found that one of the springs that hold the wee carbon brushes had been immersed in said water for long enough to rust it out. A good clean and drying followed by careful reassembly and it was functional enough to crank a 3.6 litre diesel even with one dodgy brush holding spring. Even if you don't have any real auto electrical training, which I don't, you may at least discover enough to know what the problem is when you take it to a proper sparky.

• Like 1

I started as a apprentice sparky many moons ago.  Rebuilding starters is where you start. older ones are simple to test and repair, 

But to do it properly you need a armature tester(growler) and a lathe form the com.  

Most just need new bushes, brushes, contacts for the solonoid and the com cleaned up and undercut and you are away.  

Cheers for everyone's suggestions and advice !

I was in my engine bay of the van during a Photoshoot for some workshop apparel and I had a 1/2" socket just checking bolts while my mate snapped photos and I put the socket onto the positive cable that goes onto the starter solenoid and it was loose so tightened it up. The shoot went late and forgot to test the van to see if it fixed then RWB & Jamie rolled around to have a look at for me and I put key in and it started on first turn hahahaha . So will give everything a once over with the spanners and should be ok . Cheers guys

• Like 4