Could a turbo feed a heater core?

10Speed

There are 12v heaters on Ali

12V 150W Auto Car Auto Vehicle Portable Dryer Heater Heating Cooler Fan Demister Defroster 2 in 1 Warm/Hot Cold Free Shipping

12V 150W Auto Car Auto Vehicle Portable Dryer Heater Heating Cooler Fan Demister Defroster 2 in 1 Warm/Hot Cold Free Shipping

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/12V-150W-Auto-Car-Auto-Vehicle-Portable-Dryer-Heater-Heating-Cooler-Fan-Demister-Defroster-2-in/32247678872.html

(from AliExpress Android)

The old Chevy Corvairs had little petrol burning heaters, I recommend one of them.

I used to drive an old passenger bus up to cardrona during the winter, it had kero heaters in the back we topped up each day, they put out an epic amount of heat

Going off topic now but the diesel heaters in some of those japs buses can crank man . like 5kw in something the space of a mid lounge.

I relation to your question though . i reckon using the water jacket of a turbo could work. i mean it wont be ultra efficient but those housing do get some super amounts of heat through them and would at least demist a screen albiet might take a while to warm up .

I used to drive an old passenger bus up to cardrona during the winter, it had kero heaters in the back we topped up each day, they put out an epic amount of heat

Trabants had kerosene heaters or some fuel, the carbon monoxide use to gas people to death  

If you can be bothered id give it a crack. If the 12v options are only 150w in my head it must be easy to get more than that as heat output via the churbro. Assuming 6degC temp splits on both water and air thats 0.004l/s flow needed in water and 20l/s needed for air (ie both fuck all) Reality will be a bit different but cbf going into the physics via phone.

Assuming you can get at least 40degC water off the turbo on the flow side of your water you should be able to get like approx30degC air off the heater element which will certainly help things in winter. Might not overcome youe heat losses in an old car but if you can direct the air to your face/hands/toes/balls it should help

• Like 3