moorepower's 61 Impala

danger

I purchased the Accuair set up through Joel at Lowrider NZ. https://www.facebook.com/LowriderNZ

Joel is a friend of mine so I got a good deal, it would be best to talk to him regarding pricing as there are a number of different set ups.

$3000-$4000 is the price range for a basic set up + installation on top of that. I did most of the work myself, its all pretty much bolt in, except NZ certification requires the front shock relocation points and lower a-arm bag brackets in the front to be welded in, rather than bolted.

I got a small 3 gallon tank and single compressor as I wanted it to fit above the fuel tank in the boot, where the spare wheel goes, to keep it out of the way.

It doesn't offer enough air to play around with it but because I only ride low, it gives me enough air to jack it up once to get the car over a speed bump, then it refills again. If you wanted to play around more, I would suggest at least a 5 gallon tank and two compressors. 

I am eventually going to get an engine driven a/c compressor and convert it to fill my air tank. A lot of 4x4 guys do this so they can pump their tyres up.It will pump the tank up in about 10 seconds, rather than about 1 minute it takes at the moment.

The good thing about the Accuair system is that it can be upgraded to a self leveling system quite easily so you can have 3 predetermined ride heights, at the push of a button, and it will self level so if you have three people in the back it will put more air in the rear bags, to level the car. All I need to do is send the 'brain' of it to the states so they can reprogram it, and they send back 4x height sensors with it, which get attached to each corner of the car and measure the A-arm or trailing arm height.

• Like 1

The car is sitting on Kings 'low' Holden HQ springs in this photo. The front X member is 80mm off the ground. I cut 40mm roughly off the rear bump stops (still enough meat on them to pass WOFs) so the car was about 10mm or so off the rear bump stops with no one in the car. The result was badass, sore backs and girls suggesting they needed to wear sports bras when riding in the '61 :D

I kept the car like this for about 2 months, then put Kings 'standard height' Holden HQ springs in the rear only. This raised the car in the rear about an inch at the most which was enough to roll around with less bump stop action.

The car is now about 40-50mm off the front x member with the air ride in it. 

post-19436-0-47480000-1427705352_thumb.jpg

• 10 months later...