alternators...everytime.

sentra

So

I had a new alternator with an internal regulator - installed it, ratio is 1:2. 

Car (for test purpose!!) is idling at 3500, which gives 7000rpm alternator speed.

All connections good. start up - runs at 14.5v at the battery (sense wire looped back to post)

As motor heats up - this diminishes back down to battery voltage only - about 11.9v. shiit.

(Lamp does not come on)

Take it back - run it on test bench. all works fine.

Put it back in car - heats up and stops charging. shit.

take it back - run it for extended period of time on test bench (at unknowen speed- well below 7000rpm). test fine.

Alt idling temp ~75 deg. Test bench temp maby high 30's after extended period - but still charging correctly under load etc.

Everyone shrugs, replaces regulator at a guess.

Reinstall - same issue.

Replace with new identical alternator - same issue.

Resident autoelectrican background guy at work decides we should change to an external reg to eliminate heat as an issue - so we do. Same issue.

Notes that when connecting 12v directly to feild that even with 10000rpm alternator speed we are only getting 13v and it should be >16.  

Any ideas as to what is going on here?

pooman helped the situation out by bringing some warm coronas around and doing some grunting.

once again running with a separate(new) battery jumper-leaded to the alternator, and putting 12v direct on the feild, there is 16-17v coming out which it diddnt with the old battery, cool, great! when i then plug back on the (new-external) reg it goes down to 12.8, (the battery running the car ran out at this point and diddnt get to poke at it further) putting revs on diddnt increase regulated output and im starting to think rpm is a red hearring and that we have plenty asis.

I need to verify the reg wiring in the morning. it is a mechanical type oem dx corolla unit and look at it after some sleep, i have another dx ingram after market unit, then i plugged it in, the fuse blew, hence being keen to re-look at the wiring, however at this hour it seems to be correct.

• Like 2

oh i dunno how its wired but usually they have 2 other wires ones charge light the other is a 12 v ignition source(apart from the big batt feed), you dont need a charge light but its handy, but re-run the 12v wire directly from the key, this one switches it on or off. Its either that or its a faulty component in the alt.