Adjustable suspension setup for a FC3S, what's the go?

kiwi808

So, I am rebuilding the motor in my FC and have decided that I'll keep it now. It is completely standard but sits on a set of 16" Panasports. Because I'm keeping it I'm going to give it some low.

So what I would like to know is what is the best brand of adjustable suspension to go for and what else do I need to know? I know it will need a LVVC once the work is finished, but I was wondering what else is involved ie: adjustable tie rod ends or camber plates that kind of thing.

The reason I want to go adjusties or a set of springs is I want to set it at exactly the height I want, and being able to make it higher almost at will appeals to me.

All advice appreciated, especially if it is FC specific!

Going brand new?

I had exceptional experience with Tein in my Torneo, I ran the Mono Flex which was (as the name suggests) a mono tube type shock, damper adjustable, body and platform adjustable. Ran 10 and 12kg springs on the road, and the car rode like a magic carpet. Tein has local service agents who carry stock of spare and can rebuild in the event of shock disaster.

Before that it had D2's in it, which I initially thought were ok, then I switched and I decided they were actually rubbish.

Barry at MRP may be able to sort you with a set of Fortune Auto units, which I have also heard good feedback on... plus they'll valve to suit your requested spring rates I believe.

• Like 1

I have had Tein and now have Fortune Auto 500 series, difference is night and day. Fortune Auto are soooo much nicer to live with, actually absorb bumps rather than smash into them. Would recommend Fortune Auto to all, especially considering they are cheaper than buying new Tein and not much more than D2/Ksport/Other generic taiwenese stuff

• Like 1

It really comes down to how much you want to spend. Give us a price and we will recommend something.

O.k. So I am going to buy new. I don't want crap/Chinese/knock-offs etc. From my brief uneducated interweb searches was thinking about $1500 on the adjustables. Would spend a bit more for super awesome if needed.... BUT!

I am not going super low or extreme camber or anything like that. All I want is to be able to get it to sit a bit lower, but not stupidly low that it is annoying to drive. The reason I want adjustables is I figure I can lower it, drive it for a bit and either go a bit lower if needed, or if it is too low then raise it back up.

Never had adjustables before only ever gone with fixed lower springs/grinder/4x2 blocks so all info and feedback is appreciated

how slammed/harder ride are you after? you could always go with say some low tein springs and decent (shorter than factory) shocks, would be pretty comfortable riding. I would have guessed a decent adjustable suspension set would set you back more than that but I dont know for sure.

Going brand new?

I had exceptional experience with Tein in my Torneo, I ran the Mono Flex which was (as the name suggests) a mono tube type shock, damper adjustable, body and platform adjustable. Ran 10 and 12kg springs on the road, and the car rode like a magic carpet. Tein has local service agents who carry stock of spare and can rebuild in the event of shock disaster.

Before that it had D2's in it, which I initially thought were ok, then I switched and I decided they were actually rubbish.

Barry at MRP may be able to sort you with a set of Fortune Auto units, which I have also heard good feedback on... plus they'll valve to suit your requested spring rates I believe.

I was looking at a set of D2's as they have adjustable camber plates included in the set up. There seems like there is a lot of choice if you you are not fussy about brand, but I am. I wasn't quality. If I am going to go through all the effort of lowering it and certing it I will want to us equality parts.

I'm not wanting to go super low. But I have seen and spoken to several people who have all gone for shock and spring changes only to end up with a car not sitting the way they wanted it too. Adjustable suspension insures the car will sit how I like it. Also shocks and springs are not that much cheaper from my limited searching.

FYI the FC handles brilliantly standard, it just needs a bit more low.

Mitch is taliking about a full tap coilover where the whole body of the shock is threaded, and the bit that mounts to the upright can be adjusted seperately to to the spring perch, and yes, if you want to be fucking around with heights this is what you should shoot for.

if i had to buy a set of adj struts i would get BC gold. ive certed hundreds of sets of them and only ever seen 1 set that had a problem, and they had been caned in a race car.

they usually have brake hose brackets attached in the right place as well which can make installing them much easier.

D2 are bad for leaking, the new generation ones are better but still have the odd problem

fortune auto seem ok but havnt done many sets of those

STD brand is waaaaay too stiff for road use

tein doesnt usually go very low unless you get the more expensive ones that have strut length adjustment

HSD not too bad, large range of shock adjustment that goes from soft as original to quite firm

i wouldnt bother buying anything second hand or any china brand you have never heard of or if it has no brand name on it anywhere

bilstein is over rated IMO have had numerous issues with them

tis late, thats all the info my brain will release on the matter currently

• Like 3

BC gold for sure.

I have no idea how they can churn out their parts for their prices. They are definitely a proven brand these days.

Iv had teins and when the fronts fucked out it was shithouse that nobody local could service them. I went to autolign and they told me they would sell me new ones but not service my existing. I said why the fuck would I buy something you can't service and the guy looked at me like duuuuuuuuuur hurpydurp

I have pov spec Tein HA's in my FC at the mo. I don't find the ride too harsh with them, pretty happy for a $800 second hand score. The height adjusment is a bit limited though, my rears are wound down to the end of the threads and its still not quite low enough.

Would guess you will need an adjustable camber link for the rear as well? I think Racing Beat do a fairly cheap one. The rear camber on mine needed a fair bit of correcting after fitting those teins