VG's Adventure Wagon / Tercel SR5

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Big thanks to the Anderson brothers for the carb. It was the same base carb, but had a trillion other bits glued to it, to I just nicked the bits mine was missing and transferred them over. I had a blond moment in the last post about the carb, the choke butterfly had nothing to do with it. The bit that had been removed disables the mechanical secondaries from working, until there is enough vacuum, so there's a good chance I was driving round with them at least partially open, which would explain the horrid fuel consumption.

Anyways, it runs a shit ton better, way smoother and less hesitant, and time will tell if its more economical. Unfortunately it still cuts out on steep hills, so will have to work out whats causing that. Might be pick up related? I'll ask the weirdo's on the american Tercel site and see if its a common problem.

• Like 1

theres some tricks you can do extending vent tubes and whatnot to help and the orientation of the float makes a big difference but ultimately its an inherent problem with carbs and funny angles/you can only help it up to a point.

I think SU's may be a little better in that respect than some other carbs. doesnt really help though.

Haha, i've already spent way too much on this thing, it will have to do as is. The guys on the american Tercel site are all telling me to change the fuel filter, but I highly doubt that's the problem, as it runs fine in every way. None of them said its an inherent problem with the car, so still unsure if its a design fault or somethings wrong with mine.

Anyways, it runs a shit ton better, way smoother and less hesitant, and time will tell if its more economical. Unfortunately it still cuts out on steep hills, so will have to work out whats causing that. Might be pick up related? I'll ask the weirdo's on the american Tercel site and see if its a common problem.

i did drive a car with huge carbs and standard fuel line and it would cut out when you floored it.  How easy would it be so examine the filter and see if it was chocked with dirt?

i did drive a car with huge carbs and standard fuel line and it would cut out when you floored it.  How easy would it be so examine the filter and see if it was chocked with dirt?

Nah, not a filter problem, its clean and looks sweet as. Took it out today and it ran like a bag of cunts, cut out 8 trillion times, and then a retainer in the left rear drum shat its pants, jammed the brake on, so had to back it rite off (after cooling it down with several BK cups of puddle water) 4wd'ing with it cutting out all the time and with no hand brake was not enjoyable at all. Not to mention the brakes hardly worked at all. It did make it up/through a lot of shit that I was quite impressed with though, so once its running rite it will be quite chur.

When I got home I blew out all the feed and return lines with air, and then J5 came round and we played with all the vac lines and checked lots of shit. J5 tried a few different things, and it seems like by passing some of the cold start enrichment, and redirecting a vac line to the dizzy its running waaaaaaaaaaay better on hills and under light load. With a little bit of peddle, it will now run on 45+ deg slopes. It seems like a cold star enrichment thing was flooding it.

Will see if it starts from cold tomorrow, and how it runs, and if its all good i'll just do away with all the shit.

Anyways, a few pics of today's outing.

IMG_20140928_143125438_zps9840102d.jpg

IMG_20140928_151627073_zps38e2ccb0.jpg

IMG_20140928_170207608_zpsa3070512.jpg

Regards, VG.

• Like 2

The auto choke flap thing works sweet, but it has this other vac pot thing that dumps gas in, which may be playing up. With that being a dick, in conjunction with the power pump dumping gas in, it just floods its face. For what ever reason there seemed to be no vac coming out of the carb to the dizzy either. Would be quite ken to get rid of all that choke shit and put a good old fashioned manual one on it.

Sounds like you should fix the carb properly :)

The vacuum advance port of the carb probably is the 'ported' type and only give vacuum when the throttle plates open, vacuum advance is basically only really helps on cruise speeds so shouldn't give rough running issues generally unless it somehow dials in too much timing (ie too much base timing)

I probably should rebuild it. It started first pop this morning, and ran fine while cold and hot. I'm going to head out to the hills on the way home and see what happens, if its all good up there then i'll just leave the bizzo by-passed.

Like you say, running another vac line to the dizzy didn't seem to make a difference, so doubt that has been causing any noticeable trouble.