Di0n's Thrifted Thriftmaster

di0n

Looked at a lot of different options. Initial plan was get it roadworthy with as little work as possible and leave it patina, but the body is in such a bad way that I'm going to lose most of the patina through doing bodywork.

I'm now thinking modern V8 and auto and modern suspension with a pretty much restored body.

I can't believe nobody has mentioned the original signwriting - "Jim Rust Panelbeaters and Spraypainters" - hilarious :compress: I can imagine the comments back in the day, "here comes Rusty in his rusty truck......"    Even that signwriting has some old school coolness about it. What engines do these things run? Blue Flame six?   

Yeah I priced up all the new rust repair panels from the states and was about to order it all last week, but another cab popped up on TradeMe. So I now have a nice rust free cab straight out of Arizona. I'll have to swap in the RHD dash from my rusty cab but aside from that its perfect. Pics to come.

The sign writing is actually quite recent, the previous owner was Jim Russ so his workers made up the sign as a joke :P

The engine in this one is the original 216ci Stovebolt 6. They were splash oiled so didn't run an oil pump.

• Like 1

The other cab looks sweet! Is it in the usa still? 

Also what to do with chassis rust, do you have another frame for it?

Nah the new cab is in my shed.

Chassis is my biggest worry. Will strip it back and take it in to an engineer or someone to look at I think. Hopefully it's repairable, that seems to be the only rusty section.

• Like 1