Sump plug woes

187inc

So a car that I recently acquired (afew months ago anyway) has been dripping from the sump plug. I noticed that when I did my first oil change when I first got it that the copper washer was munted, and the sump plug seemed to be a home brew job but the thread looked good so assumed it was the washer causing the issue. Bought a new sump plug with a fancy magnet and new washer, checked the thread against the old plug, all good both OE spec, but upon cleaning around the plug hole noticed that the sump thread itself is cross-threaded.

Decided out of the two plugs the new one with new washer had a better chance of sealing, but now its leaking new than it was before. So the sump thread is probably completely stuffed now im guessing.

Whats the easiest way to remedy this? I'm guessing a careful tap and a larger sized sump plug? Don't want to risk getting metal shavings in the sump though.. :S

I did initially think of a helicoil but would this still leak?

Car is a bit of a shitter, but of course I have a soft spot for shitters, especially ones I drive daily.

Thinking ill gum it up with something and do a very careful tap further down when time allows/I can be bothered. Whats good to use in such an oily environment?