Japawags' Alfa

kyteler

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha yeah sorry had to fit it in around work and shit.

This car came into us about 2 Years ago nipped up. No Oil and Water at all. We managed to free it up and keep it running.

It's got a pressure gauge on it and when I first heard the knock, it was on zero. But when I started it up cold to listen to the noise on Tuesday it had good oil pressure, so I think the non existent pressure was from the giant leak caused by that bearing.

I reckon it's a result of previous damage. I was kind of expecting this to happen eventually.

• Like 1

Oops sorry about the head stud jinx.. Whatta cunt though. Try taking them all out before you get that one spark eroded - chances are you'll break another one trying to get them out of the block. Get new ones and religiously run antifreeze.

Also pays to get the block properly dipped and cleaned. All that material from the studs will be in your block still. Only problem with that is you will need to replace the idler shaft bearings - which I assume is placed in a cam tunnel from an earlier pushrod version with the same block?

• Like 1

Oops sorry about the head stud jinx.. Whatta cunt though. Try taking them all out before you get that one spark eroded - chances are you'll break another one trying to get them out of the block. Get new ones and religiously run antifreeze.

Also pays to get the block properly dipped and cleaned. All that material from the studs will be in your block still. Only problem with that is you will need to replace the idler shaft bearings - which I assume is placed in a cam tunnel from an earlier pushrod version with the same block?

Yeah I've got a new set of pistons and liners, so I shall be pulling all the studs out and replacing the lot. Strip the block down completely and get it cleaned up. The idler shaft runs in a brass bush / bearing  in it's own little hole in the block and is also supported in the front cover where the Tacho cable drive comes out.

• Like 1

which I assume is placed in a cam tunnel from an earlier pushrod version with the same block?

They never made a push rod version.

But yea, lucky it is not too bad, it looks like there was a lot of crap in the sump though, I thought it might of picked some of it up and blocked the oil pickup.

Anyway it looks like you have it under control. God speed friend.

They never made a push rod version.

But yea, lucky it is not too bad, it looks like there was a lot of crap in the sump though, I thought it might of picked some of it up and blocked the oil pickup.

Anyway it looks like you have it under control. God speed friend.

Yeah the oil pickup screen actually looks to be pretty clean. But will pull that all apart and make sure there's no bits and pieces left in the oil system.

• 4 months later...