Damz' HB Cosmo Discussion

damz721

Well actually I never stated anywhere that it was factory and it is unfortunate that you didn't do research and that I am away and could not talk to you about it. I'm not sure what you want me to do, but I will refund you the certification application cost if you are that worried about it. It cost about 500 to get the guy over from nelson.

Boom looks like we have a victory on our hands, chur I am not usually so perswasive but thanks to all you guys telling me I was in my own right to hit him up well I did and it looks as if he's gonna cough up, the story gets sweeter and sweeter :)

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would reply saying that you will take him up on his offer but you will be in touch if there is anything dodgy in the engineering.

Keep in mind that cert will require drive shaft loops minimum if it doesn't already have them.

They are around $60 each.

Also guys what's the go with Gilmore drives are they worth it ? Are they there just to make it sound different ?

Gilmer

Only really necessary in high performance applications where zero belt slippage is required, as the belt and pulley are both toothed, unlike a V-belt.

The whining sound you hear is just air being squeezed out from between the tooth on the belt and the corresponding tooth on the pulley wheel.

The vast majority of people run them solely for the sound. And possibly the look.

Yea you'll need driveshaft hoops for a cert which is a bit of a pain. also he advertised it as a cosmo, cosmos are the rotary versions, anything that shares the same body shell as a cosmo but left the factory with a piston engine in it isnt a cosmo. kinda like talking about  808/Rx3s, AE85/AE86s etc. so technically it was false advertising. Also as I said earlier the guy who sold it to him had it in his auction that it was a reshell job.

basically just grab $500 off him for the cert, get it certed and move on. 

these things are so sweet, I want one.

• Like 1

Posted in Jan 2011 about the conversion.

http://www.rotahavik.co.nz/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=28734

Heres my Series 1 HB Cosmo,was a piston 2.0 MA but now converted to 12a turbo ,using all factory hb Rotary parts (12at ,LSD, engine subframe,gearbox x member,radiator) running a microtech and s4 rx7 coils, electric fans. Running factoy boost but go hard! just need cert now! heres some pics!

REMEMBER KIDS - EVERYTHING you put on the interweb is recorded by john key..................................for later

Find it a bit weird being a coupe though, didnt think there was a piston coupe?

Sweet ride none the less

triangle

brap

• Like 1

i like this car.

also i think Evan is incorrect. You can get a 4 cylinder Cosmo. I have personaly witnessed and driven one and sat in one and even tried to buy one then i cbf and rot808 bought it. Ask rot808 for confirmation. It was a 4 door with live axle as well, no irs

Cool car mate. HB cosmos are awesome. Also you can get piston powered Cosmos, they are jap import - full spec but without the rotary engine. N.Z new are all badged '929' and usually lower spec. Coupes are also avalible in piston and rotary format. Good luck with your project!

Cool car mate. HB cosmos are awesome. Also you can get piston powered Cosmos, they are jap import - full spec but without the rotary engine. 

Really? badged as cosmos? oh wait yea you're probably right now that I think about it, why didnt I think about that earlier. ignore me.

Really? badged as cosmos? oh wait yea you're probably right now that I think about it, why didnt I think about that earlier. ignore me.

That's the weird thing about it, the other one is listed as a 929 coupe yours is registered as a Cosmo.

Wonder if someone converted it to piston back in the day and records are updated to show that.

I always thought only rotary ones were registered as Cosmo as well.

you can get JDM piston powered HB cosmo and luce. godam. Not NZ new but nz has used imports.

i think you should get those louvers. 100% sure. maybe try australia. those wierdos have them for everything

Na piston powered 2nd and 3rd gen Cosmo's were badged with Cosmo in Japan, the HB got badged as 929 in other markets, the 2nd gen as 121 or RX5.

Kinda like we got RX2 badged cars and Japan got them badged as Capella.

• Like 1