Using Lpg to heat up metal

Mattt

Hey guys

I have recently been setting up my garage with some gear and i want something that i can heat up metal with thats cheap and doesnt cost to have on hand if i'm not using it. I noticed Super cheat have some oxy acetylene kits on clearance and i was wondering if i would be able to use LPG only through the kit to heat up metal for bending / shaping or whether i would have to use oxy aswelll. I know you need oxy and LPG for welding but will it heat ok? The main thing i have in mind at the moment is i want heat and mould slightly my inner guards as my new tyres rub SLIGHTLY on the inside. (73 crown) so maybe 2-3mm thick panel steel.

those cylinders are fucking expensive when compared to the bbq bottles hence why i want to use 9kg bottle. i've found an adaptor from 9kg to camping so that torch uterus listed will work sweet. I'm taking it from the responses that it will get hot enough for what i'm wanting to do?

I'd be suprised if it did TBH, I weld copper with just LPG and even that takes it's time to heat up. I don't know the temps it will produce or what temps you'll require though. I can probably give it a try on some scrap next week if you PM me to remind me (next week).

I'd just get a sledge in there.

you might buckle and warp your panels if you used an LPG burner to heat your gurds, the flame is quit big. A normal oxyacetylene welding set up can be adaped to use lpg by counter sinking the tip holes a bit, even the cutting torch, its not as good as acetylene tho.

I do alot of steel,bronze,copper work and have made 2 home made lpg burners witch are 20 times better than anything you could buy, they will heat up big chunks of steel to a dull red in to time

you might buckle and warp your panels if you used an LPG burner to heat your gurds, the flame is quit big. A normal oxyacetylene welding set up can be adaped to use lpg by counter sinking the tip holes a bit, even the cutting torch, its not as good as acetylene tho.

I do alot of steel,bronze,copper work and have made 2 home made lpg burners witch are 20 times better than anything you could buy, they will heat up big chunks of steel to a dull red in to time

if using LPG as you gas, why can one use compressed air ( from rattly in the corner ) as your oxygen supply, then use oxy/axcetylene gear ?? would save renting bottles.